Swamp Sparrow

Discussion in 'Birds' started by SSchex, Dec 24, 2005.

1. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    There are some swamp sparrows feeding along side of the marsh wrens, here is one that came in close. 70-200 VR and 1.7 TC, f/8 ,ISO 200,WB cloudy.

original.

2. Scott,
    You sure are getting some great images with that 70-200 / 1.7 tc combo!
    this image is a bit too large for most to view effectively. try sizing it to 800 or 900 pixels on the long side, it will actually veiw better.
    Nice work!
    I am heading out in camo this am in search of more wrens.
    Dave

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scott,

Nice shot. I agree with Dave that it would look a little better at 800 - 1000 pixels max width. I had to scroll to see the entire image. So how do you like the 1.7 TC? I used mine yesterday to shoot Eagles, and I'm just not sold yet on its sharpness.

4. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Thanks Dave and Frank. This is a 100% crop to show the sharpness of the lens/ tc combo. This bird was almost too close. I find it works well at f/8 and smaller. This is the same set up I've been using all week, shot from a truck with the engine running. The VR is set to active.

Merry Christmas to all.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That image is Beautiful and the detail is great.

The closer the better for detail that for sure.

6. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Now thats a close-up!

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Man that is close and sharp. Full of detail
    Well done

8. Hey Scott, this is an awesome shot of a Swamp Sparrow. Swamp Sparrows are around here in the winter, but quite uncommon. I have never been able to get nearly this close to get any decent shots. Well done! Would be nice though if was reduced to around 800 pixels so we could view it without having to scroll. Maybe you have your screen resolution at 1280x1024 or something. I use 1024x768.

Cheers

Tim

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2005
  9. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Ok Tim, Here is a smaller version.

10. Ahh, that's much better. Thanks Scott

Any idea what it is eating?

t

11. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Tim, the sparrow was shuffling it's feet on the ground and grabbing something in the dirt. I coundn't make it out. After doing this for a few minutes it flew to the water's edge and fed there on some small flying insects.

12. hi Scott, I see you got a Swamp too! Hadn't seen that before I posted mine--if I had, i wouldn't have made the dumb blunder of calling mine a Song, at first. Wow what a close shot--super sharp.