Swan fight (13 pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by TOLady, May 1, 2005.

1. Yes, springtime and they're staking out their breeding territories. After the fight, the winner gloats. It was quite interesting to watch. Don't fault me for the composition - waving the 70-200 around in a kayak is a little dicey.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great series Sandi. Looks like you had a very productive day. :lol:

Regards,

Frank

3. Thanks Franck, took over 600 pics that day. Then the weather has turned wet and cold. I want to get out again soon as the nest building is going to start soon for the swans. The Canada geese had already started building and sitting.
    I do love the way this S3 doesn't blow the highlights - high sun on swans is NOT the ideal shooting condition *LOL*
    I missed a really great shot of a swan flying low over the water, coming right at me except I'd already stowed the camera into the drybox for some paddling. Oh well, next time ;)

4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Good day out on the water Sandi. Great looking shots.

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Fabulous shots Sandi! Getting those white birds exposed right is a real challenge - well done.

6. Great shots Sandi. I love the capture of the actions and behaviour of these birds.

7. Good tutorial on breeding swans. Your images are very good and tell the story.

8. Thanks Todd. I can't wait to get back out there again. Hopefully later this week, the warmer weather will return.
    Thanks Don, I'm VERY happy with this camera and glad I decided on it over the others. I just love the dynamic range on it - great for swans and bridal dresses!
    Dennis, these birds are magnificent, their intelligence, their size and power. I actively followed a nesting pair last year and hopefully can follow them again this year (apparently swans always come back to the same nesting site). I just love being out on the water, whatever I'm shooting. Thanks for your kind words.
    Cheers, Sandi

9. Very nice serie Sandi. A S3Pro and a 70-200mm VR in a kayak, you must be a courageous woman...what if they fall into the water :D :D. Thank for sharing.

10. A right, and a left.............he's in trouble!! DOWN HE GOES!!! Nice series!! :D :D :D

11. Hi Sandi,

Are you the lady i met at Hilton falls conservationb area with the S3 maybe a month or so ago?

12. Dao, I'm very careful, I stow all my gear in waterproof containers when moving... and in a kayak you're very very low, unlike a canoe where you're sitting up.
    Bryan, it's always fun watching Mother Nature and all her little beasties at play (and war!).
    Daniel, yes I'm the only and one - thankfully it's not as wet and white as it was that day. I see you have the 17-55 as well. I tried out the Bigma but took it back - never could quite master it to my liking. If you ever want to venture out for another shoot, just yell - I'm ALWAYS game! LOL
    Cheers, Sandi

13. Excellent shots Sandy! tough birds to nail those exposures and you did great!!

14. Thanks Keith. I was waiting to put this new camera to the test and it's passed with flying colours. Bernie Heins of Nextphoto is the guy who steered me in the direction of the S3 and it's living up to all expectations. (Thanks Bernie for helping part me from my money! *LOL*) I'm so glad there are no blown highlights on these white birdies.

15. Sandi
    Great series love the perspective from the kayak. Great color on these, I know how difficult it is to shot the big lens from the boat last summer at our shore house we had a kayak and I went out after some osprey I thought I was going to tip all the way. What do you sue a pelican case?