Featured Swan & Green Winged Teal

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Dec 1, 2017.

1. During a late afternoon visit to a local pond, I was lucky to find a small group of swans and a few Blue Winged Teal, all shot with the D5, 200-500mm lens.

DSC_0977-2 72wf.

DSC_0901 72wf.

DSC_0905 72wf.

Louie

• Like Like x 5
  2. Wow, that last one is amazing! Truly amazing.

3. Well done! Check your duck i.d., though.

4. Thanks Larry, the only other duck that remotely looks like this is an American Wigeon, but I'm pretty sure looking at other shots from that day that this is Blue Winged Teal.

5. I stand corrected, Nick you are right it's a Green Winged Teal. I'm going to the eye doc this afternoon.

6. Thanks to Larry---all I did was turn a few pages of my bird book. Ducks are not my strong suit (living here in the dry side :) )

7. Definitely neither Blue-winged nor Green-winged Teal and not a Wigeon either. I have an idea but I'd like a look at a sitting one if you have a shot.
    Larry

8. DSC_0869 72wf.

Here you go Larry.

9. Eurasian-American intergrade (hybrid)?

10. That's a classic Green-winged. I was thinking Common Teal for the flying one which is missing the vertical white line on the breast that's a definitive field mark in separating Green-winged from it's cousin, but in searching for more Green-winged photos I found some have the line reduced or absent, so Green-winged it is.

Larry

11. You might be on to something Nick, damn I'm getting a first class lesson in birding. In looking further, it does look like the Eurasian Subspecies has the green on the wing, so maybe it is a cross.

12. Thanks Larry for bringing my attention to the correct ID. I think all to often I think I know or don't look carefully enough before making the ID.

13. Me too. I'm going to spend some more time reading up on this (given that my new 850 is on a slow brown truck somewhere between NJ and here :( ).
    Love this part of the Café - so much expertise. Thanks all.

14. I like all the images of the duck - all 3. Definitely a Green-winged Teal.

15. Thanks very much Allan.

16. The last image definitely deserves a Wow...and then some...Also liked the sitting one for detail

17. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    That third shot is superb! Featured!

18. Thank you Allan.

Thank you so very much, I appreciate this Wade.

19. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Yes, very nice, all duck photos should be mirrored.