Swans from march 19, 2005

Discussion in 'Birds' started by EdMac, Mar 19, 2005.

1. I broke down and bought Ron Resnick's e-book, and I am trying to apply his techniques. This is the first shoot that I have been able to do using some of what I have learned. In the two shots below, I spot metered on the Swans and compensated with +.1 EV. My post processing was with NC4. I used his recommendations for setting the shadow point. Then I just played a bit. The feathers on a Swan are difficult at beat. I hope that I did these justice. Comments welcome as always.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good shots. You have done a good job on the processing too. NC makes a lot more sense when you begin to understand how to use it huh?

Regards,

Frank

3. Great shots!! I enjoyed these very much!! Thanks!! :D :D :D :D

4. Using it

Hi Frank,
    I have been working with NC for a long time, but RR has added a few twists that I didn't know existed. The e-book is good, but it takes a lot of concentration to finally understand what he is trying to get across. Of course, I have never had the opportunity to have a one one one. It is good stuff, and I am glad that I bought it. Thanks for your comments.

5. Swans

Hi,
    Thanks for your comments. It was cold out on that water today. The e-book has forced me to think more about the shot. I have a ways to go, but it is worth the challenge. Thanks for your kind words.

6. By the way

By the way, I just thought that I should add that these were shot with the 80-400 using the Kenko Pro 300 TC 1.4. They were hand held. :D

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Using it

Ed,

I wasn't a long time NC user before I met Ron, but I had used it some. My processing just got so much better after I got his book. I have also been very fortunate to get to go to two of his sessions. Talk about brain overload.... :?

These are very nicely done considering that you were shooting at 560mm.

Regards,

Frank

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very pretty Swans Ed,

One of my favorites, and we have none around these parts.

I have RR book. I get into it for a bit then my brain gets tired.

I need to get it printed. Trying to read and process with one monitor is not productive for me at all.

You really have to do, as you read, to follow along.

I tried to print it at work like i did a few others but the version of adobe reader is to old and can't up-date at work.

Sure would like to dig into it more.

Good job Ed

Cheers
    Gale

9. Nice shots Ed. Nothing like a big white bird in the sun to make us work more. You did a fine job as always.

10. Excellent processing Ed. Looks like that book was a worthwhile investment for you ;-)

11. Both good but the second one is really nice. Good color and exposure.

12. New Tricks

Hi Gordon,

Thank you. I guess us old guys can learn some new tricks. :D

13. Processing

Hi Janet,

I am a long way from being there, but I hope that some of the RR e-book rubs off on me. The big thing that I have to practice is nailing the exposure. The next thing that I need is warmer weather and more birds to shoot. Thanks for your comments. :)

14. White Birds

Hi Harris,
    Yeah, those big bright white birds and sunlight are a challenge. I had a GBH very close by, but by the time I got set up something spooked it. My wife was with me, and wanted to get home, so I could not wait for it to return. Thanks for your comments. Maybe next time it will be warmer and we will have more birds. :D

15. e-book

Hi Gale,

I agree with you about needing a printed copy. The first thing that I did was print the entire e-book. I have a Canon color printer that prints both sides of the paper, so it worked out great. The subject matter in the book requires a lot of concentration and you definitely need to practice while following along. I need to have a printed page.
    Thanks for your comments, and good luck.
    :D

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ed,
    A question if I may. The 80-400 you are shooting is that the VR version. I can only get a Nikon 2x and must shoot manual.

Wondering if the Kinko pro works with th VR version AF.

Thank you
    Gale

17. VR Version

Hi Gale,
    Yes it is the 80-400 VR which is the same as yours. It really only works with the Kenko Pro 300 1.4X converter. You need really bright daylight to get good focus without hunting. It does work with the VR. Good luck.

--ED-- :D :D