Swapping AC adapter on iPhone 3 G

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Allan, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    This is for the adapters sold on G3 iPhone only in the US.

See here.

2. Just saw the alert on the Apple.com hot news page.... I've got two of these things, one which is currently plugged into a surge protector and the iPhone dock and my iPhone and the other which I had planned to use for travel.

Heh, does sound as though it could be a potentially dangerous situation so I am glad that Apple is exchanging them now. OK, so next week it will be off to the Apple store with me....

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    From Apple's web site:

The Exchange Process
    Replacement adapters will be available starting Friday, October 10, 2008.

There are two ways to exchange your current ultracompact Apple USB power adapter for a new, redesigned adapter.

Order a replacement adapter via the web. These replacement adapters will ship within three weeks of your order, starting on Friday, October 10.
    Exchange your adapter at an Apple Retail Store starting on October 10.

We'll need to collect your iPhone 3G's serial number as part of the exchange process.

If you apply via the web, you will also need to provide your name and address so that we can send you a new adapter along with a shipment box so that you can return the affected adapter to Apple.

If you visit an Apple Retail Store, you need to bring your affected adapter(s) and your iPhone 3G(s) with you to complete the exchange process.

4. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I ordered mine over the web as the nearest Apple store is in a crowded mall about 35 minutes from me.

5. Thanks for the additional info! Alrighty, then I will just wait until after October 10th.....

ETA: In the meantime this evening I did go ahead and swap out the adapter with an extra I had from my old iPhone. Probably not really necessary as I don't continually plug and unplug that particular iPhone dock (it's the one I use for daily recharging), but I figured might as well go ahead and do it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  6. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Got my new adapter today and my old one is sitting outside awaiting pickup to go back to Apple. If the old one gets lost it is a $29 charge.

7. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    I bought my iphone and they didn't include the adapter!

8. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    It is small - are you sure it isn't in the box?

9. Got my new one and other is about to go back.