Swedish Farm house in Moonshine - Featuring the Noct

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by andreasb, Oct 23, 2005.

1. I'm in Sweden on my annual pilgrimage home to the family. The first night I couldn't sleep in the morning so I got up and noticed the full moon shining and decided to go out and try my latest lens - The 58mm F1.2 Noct. (watch out for LLD :Devil: ) I also brought out the 28mm F2 AIS to compare the results. The 28mm does pretty well I think. The pictures are of our large farmhouse on the family farm. To be fair the moonshine was not this bright, but these are the way the shots came out, I have others where the lights in the house arn't so blown out but I still liked these better for effect.

First shot with the Noct, (This shot is less sharpened then the 28mm shot and less compressed as a JPG.
    and the 28mm, compression is medium which accounts for the blotchiness in the sky - I'm on a very slow 28KB phone line...

Comments?

2. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Now that....is a farmhouse. Great image.

3. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    If that's a farmhouse, how does a mansion look like in Sweden :smile: ?

Nice shots. I prefer the second one for the image composition. Was looking for EXIF data but there wasn't any. What is the exposure and ISO?

Looks like some nice glass to shoot with.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Excellent photos under moonlight Andreas!

It's a nice farm house, I'm sure it can accomodate all of your family

If I ever visit that part of the world I will definitely pay a visit and sleep over, ya?

Now, don't take me wrong, but that's the Swedish law, isn't it... :wink:

6. Both are great, and I also like the 2nd one more.

And what a farm house. Maybe we can have a party for all Cafe members there.

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Andreas: Inte är det här en stuga från en glesbygd i norra Sverige? (ursäkta min svenska, jag är norsk :biggrin: )

For the rest of you: I'm asking Andreas whether this small cottage is from the remote areas up North in Sweden.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images . I do like both.

Partial to the first one. Not sure why.

The Nikon Cafe Party sounds great to me :>))

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Wow, very beautiful Andreas. I am glad you made it in one piece. I look forward to more of your pictures. What a house. How many rooms does it have?

11. OK so the Framhouse is my family's internal joke. It is actually called in local swedish dialectal tounge the Big House (Stora Huset) it was built in 1752-1756, by a General and Count Wollter Stackelberg, who got it for his war services to the Swedish crown. We have had it in the family since 1916 when my ancestor a paper mill industrialist, bought it and the land with it from the then owner, Baroness Sparre. Our aim is to leave it to the next generation in good shape so that they can keep it going if they want. But farming is a tough business, it's hard to make ends meet.

As for the shots, I do prefer the 28 mm myself, especially for composition, but I couldnt back up anymore unless I wanted a late night swim in the pond behind me :) The color of the 28 mm is a post processing issue, I redid the 58mm shot and get the same kelvin for it and it does like quite the same as the 28mm shot. However the 28mm shot is much better exposed then the 58mm, I have lot to learn about shooting in Moonlight. There is much more dark detail in the 58mm shot, it is quite lens

Exif is missing since I saved it as a compressed TIFF, dont know why that happened.

The 58 mm shot was Aperture, - 1.3 exposure comp., 20 seconds, F3.5 (Bjorn says it is sharp until F4), Long exposure Noise reduction On
    The 28mm was +0.3, 30 seconds, F2.8, Long exposure Noise reduction ON

For both shots, matrix, manual AF of course and auto WB ( I dont know what Moonlight Kelvin is, Bjorn?)

You guys can't see it but the 58mm is sharper then the 28mm, by a bit, the 28mm is a nice lens though too. However the 58mm is supersharp at F1.8; it is amazing! AND perfectly usable at F1.2, I think I have a keeper, I might write into my will that i want oet buried with it :). The 50mm F1.2 will have to go, although a decent lens...

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL@Paul

LLD hummmm yeah would love the NOCT...

Ever since Regit posted all his images with it, I wanted one. hahahahha fat chance.

He hung around Bjorn to much lol...Me thinks he found bjorns car ...hummmmm

Now look what he has done.

PS I do have the 28 2.8 AIS :>)

PSS... Wanna buy it :>))) I'm sellin it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  13. Nej, det är det inte :), det ligger på Vätterns västra strand, söder om Hjo....

No it is in the south of Sweden. (I gave Bjorn a better location in Swedish)

14. Thanks all for the kind feedback, if I'm there and anyone of you come by (I go there say once per year) I'm sure we can find a spare bed and have a decent meal and a glas of wine as well for those who want.

And the same goes for my house on Vancouver Island, we love guests. And believe me there are great shooting opportunites on Vancouver Island. Paul Frye has been there already and Jim Thiel and Bill Dewey are considering when.

I redid PP on the Noct shot so it looks similar to the 28mm shot:
    and the original 28mm for comparison

15. did somebody say we are having a cafe party there???? COOL!
    neat stuff Andreas.
    Dave

16. I am with Paul on this one I sort of like the shot from the 28 the shadow detail is better and seems crisper. BTW a gorgeous house

17. Yes Mike and Dave I like the 28mm as well. I would have to take a nice very cold swim to get the same view of the house with the Noct, and could not have composed for the road leading in to the picture.

The 28mm shot was +0.3 and the 58mm was -0.3, so that helps with the details i guess as well. I have try this some more it was fun...

the 28mm goes on the wall I think...

Thanks all for the kind feedback and willingness to have a party, everyday is sort of a party here at the Café...