Sweet 16 party--how does that work?

Hey guys,

I know I am most likely posting in the wrong forum...just couldn't figure out where to go, so general seemed fine.

So, I was asked by a co-worker to shoot her daughter's sweet 16 party at the end of April. Now, I probably should have just said "no" but I don't seem to do well with that concept.

Speaking of concepts I don't do well with...shooting people in a room with no formal posing, varied lighting, etc. Let's face it, unless you have a talen for these things, it's probably going to look like Uncle Joe and Aunt Mary's dreaded family vacation slide show.

So...I need tips and tricks. I will be able to go in and meter prior to the party (at a restaurant) but I doubt it will really be the actual lighting situation. I am asking them to let me know ahead of time about theme, previous parties the daughter has attended where she liked the photos, etc...but anything you guys can tell me on how to get some good shots that look like someone who knows how to hold a camera (I do) would take, I'd really appreciate it. Anyone with experience doing these types of things and can explain it will be rewarded with good thoughts and wishes for the rest of my life!

ALSO...my D200 does not seem to be a stellar performer in low lighting--really noisy photos--and I'm wondering if anyone has found a good counter to this. I've been toying with picking up a 2nd camera (talking from a used shop and NOT really expensive!) so I could use my 70-200 VR on one and 18-70 on the other...thoughts on this being a good idea, waste of money idea, or not necessary would be appreciated.

Ok...nothing like asking for the world of knowledge...counting on you guys to make me look good (or at least not bad).

I just did a 40th birthday party for a friend - we had a very nice private room in a large restaurant but the lighting was the pits.

I cranked up the ISO and did the best that I could with my 35mm 1.8 and then converted everything to black and white so that the inherent noise was transformed to the look and feel of B & W film. The look of the pictures suited our group but I'm not sure that it's going to work for something like a sweet sixteen.

Good luck.

Darren

ALSO...my D200 does not seem to be a stellar performer in low lighting--really noisy photos--and I'm wondering if anyone has found a good counter to this. I've been toying with picking up a 2nd camera (talking from a used shop and NOT really expensive!) so I could use my 70-200 VR on one and 18-70 on the other...thoughts on this being a good idea, waste of money idea, or not necessary would be appreciated.

I think you better pick up a flash if you don't have one. A SB600 should help out tremendously.

Do you have a flash other than the pop-up?

I don't think you'll have to worry about dull photos if you can work out the lighting. I took some photos for a friend over the weekend and her teenagers were very much into hamming it up for the camera--they watch quite a bit of America's Next Model and similar shows. My friend had to tell them that they were not on the catwalk. I took 180 shots in less than an hour--bring extra cards and batteries.

Good luck trying to get anything candid.

Darren thank you for the idea...

I just did a 40th birthday party for a friend - we had a very nice private room in a large restaurant but the lighting was the pits.

I cranked up the ISO and did the best that I could with my 35mm 1.8 and then converted everything to black and white so that the inherent noise was transformed to the look and feel of B & W film. The look of the pictures suited our group but I'm not sure that it's going to work for something like a sweet sixteen.

Good luck.

Darren

Darren...may not work for everything but it is a great idea...some black and white may be just the ticket. Thanks for the thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brad

I think you better pick up a flash if you don't have one. A SB600 should help out tremendously.

Brad, I do have an SB800 and I have the thingy (yes that is the technical word for it I'm sure) that places the flash up higher to be more "off" camera. I also have the cord thingy (again, the technical term, I am sure) to connect the flash and make it completely off camera. Now, I'm not joking when I say I'll make a note not to foget it because I rarely use the flash...I'm usually shooting a bird that's well beyond flash range...and I can totally see me NOT bringing it and calling my husband in a panic. I appreciate the reminder.

Thanks Nancy

Do you have a flash other than the pop-up?

I don't think you'll have to worry about dull photos if you can work out the lighting. I took some photos for a friend over the weekend and her teenagers were very much into hamming it up for the camera--they watch quite a bit of America's Next Model and similar shows. My friend had to tell them that they were not on the catwalk. I took 180 shots in less than an hour--bring extra cards and batteries.

Good luck trying to get anything candid.

That's funny and you are probably right on the money with what their attitude will be. It's against my nature to be in front of the camera but I'm guessing that most teenagers will see it as a complete chance to shine. Then again, (and I'm showing my age) when I was 16 we were happy to get a nice dinner and a "party" at home with friends...perhaps it is an East Coast thing (I doubt it) but sweet 16's seem to be a rather huge deal these days. I'm glad I have a boy--he'll just want a car at 16:rolleyes:

Read up on Nikon's CLS and start playing with the sb800 off camera set up somewhere triggered remotely via the pop up flash. You have a ton of variations regarding setup of both flashes' output levels and you can even set the on camera flash to trigger the remote, but not affect the exposure.

Get a diffuser of some sort for the pop up flash. I really like the Gary Fong Puffer, bit that is only one option. When you absolutely HAVE to use an on camera flash, and you can't bounce it off the ceiling, diffuse it!

great ideas Vinman

Read up on Nikon's CLS and start playing with the sb800 off camera set up somewhere triggered remotely via the pop up flash. You have a ton of variations regarding setup of both flashes' output levels and you can even set the on camera flash to trigger the remote, but not affect the exposure.

Get a diffuser of some sort for the pop up flash. I really like the Gary Fong Puffer, bit that is only one option. When you absolutely HAVE to use an on camera flash, and you can't bounce it off the ceiling, diffuse it!

the puffer sounds interesting will start checking that out...wasn't thinking about remote triggering but that makes a lot of sense...and as I mentioned, I do have a lot of those thingies that help w/flash:rolleyes:

Latest threads

Top Bottom