Featured Sweet Dreams; Polar Bears

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by drr1531, Apr 25, 2018.

1. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    D810/500mm f4G

p2527046765-6.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 8
    • Wow Wow x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    Perfect in every aspect. Deserving of all the credit about to be heaped on you. Thanks much for sharing this here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Love it, hopefully you have that one printed and framed somewhere in your place.

4. Great photo!

5. I am SO (insert words of exclamation, expletives, awe here) jealous. Jealous first that you were there and I wasn't. Then jealous with your great treatment of the subject matter. Wow.

6. That is one phenomenal image.

7. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Double Wow, all star photo.
    What's the story, did you take a wrong turn on the way to the corner store?

8. Wonderful image, is that snow falling or frost on a polar bear proof window you shot through. 500 mm is not near long enough for me and bears . :) 

9. Dan - It really doesn't get much better than that. Great picture; thanks for posting!

10. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Simply stunning! Perfect in every way! Deserves it's own space on a very large wall!

11. Hallmark card!

12. I'm speechless, and in awe of a photo that is perfect in every way. Tells a story in a beautiful way.

13. I've never seen anything like it. Absolutely wonderful!

14. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    My goodness. Thanks for the comments, everyone. Glad you enjoyed the image.

15. Fabulous shot. Love the atmosphere and feeling.

16. JW53

JW53

Jan 21, 2006
    Johns Creek, Ga
    Christmas card or see if Coke would like to use it . Great shot

17. Wonderful image. I was going to say I would take a bit off the top if it were mine, but that was an hour ago. I look at it now and can't decide.

18. Like West, I would like to know the story behind the image.

19. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Dan, this is a triumph. One of the best photos I've ever seen. Thank you for sharing it here.
    Congratulations!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    I can't decide either, Allan. When I first processed it I actually cropped it to a 2x1 format, partly to get the horizon offset from center. Later I re-worked it to bring out the snow a little more and then liked it in the original format which I have since printed on both canvas and metal and it looks great. But then again it looks good in 16x9 on a screen too.... I guess that means the bears are what matters to the overall image.

There's not much of a story though I guess there is a bit of a lesson in it. The image was shot in Kaktovic, AK, which is within the bounds of the famous Arctic National Wildlife Refuge(aka ANWR). You can't set foot on the ground there so have to shoot from a boat(which isn't a bad idea anyway). There are a few workshops held there but another photographer that I know made some contacts and we were able to just hire a native guide with a small(20ft) boat. So we had the boat to ourselves and the guide pretty much did whatever we asked him to do.

We spent an entire afternoon with this sow and cub. The sun was coming and going between dark clouds making for some good lighting situations but it was bitterly cold. The sow played with the little guy, nursed him, then they lay down for a nap. The guide wanted to go find us another bear but the lighting conditions were promising so we just sat with them hoping for something to happen. And here's where the lesson comes in. It's the old bird in the hand thing. When you're on an animal and shooting conditions are good, patience Grasshopper. For just a couple of minutes a snow flurry blew through and I made this shot. In five days of shooting the opportunity for this photo lasted no more than a minute or two. And it is without doubt my favorite shot of the trip.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.