Swim Meet Season

Well the Outdoor swim meet season has begun in our neck of the woods. I was asked if I could be the team photographer this season since everyone liked my "big lens" at the practice sessions.

So remembering what several folks here suggested a few years back when I was shooting the SSA Champions Meet (I'm using my 70-200mm VRII with the 1.4 TC attached and a B&W Circular Polarizer to cut down on the reflections of the pool water).

The swim meets start around 9am and go until 12-1pm on Saturday's and the first two meets have been with full-sun and no cloud cover. Making this more challenging is the fact that the first two pool meets had the sun rising behind the starting blocks, thereby creating some significant shadows in the swimmers faces as they came down towards me.

I've included a few images from the 16-18 yr. old men's event, since they have the most experienced within the team. The near-drowning (Free-style) images of my son in the "Developmental" swim team event didn't make the cut.

Any C/C or additional tips is truly appreciated.

DSC_0639-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0638-L.jpg

DSC_0630-L.jpg

DSC_0535-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert,

I'll take all four of them as keepers! I feel your pain after having shot many swim meets both outdoors and indoors, and believe me given the choice I would take these conditions over the "cave pools" that I've shot in where there just isn't enough light.

You've got four good exposures with great sharpness and action too. Oh, and way to stay REALLY low next to the water to get these, that's great technique. You get a bit wet, but it's well worth it. :cool:

Robert,

I'll take all four of them as keepers! I feel your pain after having shot many swim meets both outdoors and indoors, and believe me given the choice I would take these conditions over the "cave pools" that I've shot in where there just isn't enough light.

You've got four good exposures with great sharpness and action too. Oh, and way to stay REALLY low next to the water to get these, that's great technique. You get a bit wet, but it's well worth it. :cool:

Thanks Steve.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom