SwimMeet - 1st Attempt

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Raul_T, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Shot a few at a swim meet today to learn as I will be doing a swim meet next week. As I look at these images I see blue-green. But I look at the swimsuit straps and see good colors....I don't know, maybe I've just been looking at them tooooo long:Dizzy:
    I would appreciate some feed back!

As always, I appreciate the help!

1)
    567454180_cb5750b3dd.

2)
    567828797_b6bbb2ca53.

3)
    567831829_bd6088e2a0.

If anyone has any good links, or good tips on how to shot swimming, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance!

-Raul

2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Colors look OK to me...but I am at work on a crummy monitor. They seem a bit noisy though.

Was this outside? Looks like you had the harsh light of death some of us get to work with shooting baseball / softball. :) A bump in EV compensation can help that a little bit. - 1/3 or -2/3...

3. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks Randy,

It was an outside meet and I did have to deal with that big orange thing in the sky! I bumped my EV by 1. I used my 300 2.8 wide open and set my ISO at 400.

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Man...even with an ev comp and still getting blown highlights...that's is a tough venue. I would seriously consider using a polarizer and then leaving the EV alone. The SS should be about the same then and perhaps cut some of the glare out of the shot.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The polarizing filter is a very good recommendation.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Search Mike Mac swim meet pics

They look pretty good here.

Bit contrasty maybe...??

Look at those color long enough and they start to run together

7. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Yeah......I thought about that later. I can google for one but do y'all know off the top of your head of a good place on the web to get one.

8. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks Gale......exactly, I think I just stared toooooooo long. I wil certainly look for Mike's pics......thanks for the tip!

9. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    B&H...KEH...either place.

Get a good one as they have a tendency to hang with you for life. I buy all B+W ones and one is over 20 years old! :)

Get one to fit your largest lens and couple of step down rings so you can use it on smaller ones as well.

10. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Bright sunny day and you were shooting wide open at ISO 400? Swimmers don't move that fast. I would probably have taken my EV down by a 1/3 to a half as opposed to raising it by one. Also, I would have shot somewhere between f/4 and f/5.6 ISO 200-320 on a bright day and still get enough shutter speed to freeze the action. The water splashing around tends to mess with your AF so better to get a bit more DOF as opposed to shooting wide open, especially on a bright sunny day.

Having said all that, take it with a grain of salt. I shoot a lot of sports but I have not shot outdoor swimming. All my swimming photos are indoors and I always strobe those.

11. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    I'll look that way......thanks Randy!

12. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks Alex for the tips. The greater DOF makes absolute sense. I had many pics where I just missed the focus because AF latched onto the water/spray just in front of the swimmer.

Thanks Alex for taking the time to look and comment!