Swimming w/D300 300 2.8 AF-I

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by rustyfingers, Jul 1, 2008.

1. As promised some pictures form the swim meet yesterday. Something funky going on with the sizing but you get the idea.

D300 300 2.8 AF-I All hand-held (my shoulders killing me today)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure this guy was 100% happy with me taking his picture.
    [​IMG]

2. Nice series you have to use a monopod on that combo will give your arms a break and get you some more stability

3. Yea I'm going to have to get used to the idea of using a monopod w/300. I started with one but quickly pulled it off because is was cramping my style but my shoulder is definitely paying for it this morning. I used to shoot (rifles) in the military for hours and it never really bothered be... getting old is starting to s##k.

Thanks
    Dennis

4. Nice work!
    I use a monopod for baseball games (3hrs +) with my 80-200, but hand hold for birding. I put a quick release head on the monopod so I can shift gear.
    Fred

5. Great shots! My fav is #1. I know what you mean about cramping style. I dont use one either. When I want to swing around, I dont want it to get in my way. Ill shoot with that setup for up to 8 hours a day. I used to bodybuild and the theory is the same. Your muscle will grow into it. Im 44. Is that old, lol.

6. lukasz

lukasz

Nov 24, 2007
    Katowice, Poland
    wow! those are great!
    I WANT that lens! :)  anyone know where to get one? :) 

7. Jeromy

Jeromy

Mar 19, 2008
    Utah
    i think the third one is my fav, good job!

8. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    These are superb!! Love the war paint.

May I ask what shutter speeds?

I shot rec swim this season and my shots were not as "crispy." SS, I think as I was around 1/400-1/500 in the best light at the beginning of the meet.

Thanks for sharing. As is often said on here, shots like these allow us noobs to see what excellent photography is all about.

9. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Supurb shots here Dennis. I really like the first three.

Were these taken at an outside pool?

10. Gorgeous shots Dennis! I just love the shot of the kid with her "YEAH" pose - cute as anything!
    I have the AF-I and find it to be an outstanding lens (I have had several other versions of the 300/2.8). A bit on the heavy side, but that is fine. In fact I like that, since it provides added stability as a whole. I would not want to drag it around for a long period while shooting hand held though...:eek: 

11. I don't mind using one for most things by for swimming it's kinda tough especially when I'm sitting on the side of the pool.

Thanks

I'm 48 and it's really not a strength thing it's more of a 'shoulder separating from my body' thing for me. I had a motorcycle wreck on mothers day and my shoulder really hasn't recovered.

Thanks. They pop up here every now and then.

Thanks !!!

All the shots for this meet are at http://www.chapelroadimages.com/swimfree2 (place your cursor over the image)
    I'm still not sure why the exif info is getting stripped from my images that I post. I try my best to leave it there but faststone is dropping it even when I tell it not to.

Thanks
    Dennis

Yea these were outside with some pretty good afternoon light for a few of the good ones.

That's my youngest and she is definitely a ham.

Thanks
    Dennis

12. Nubster

Nubster

Mar 31, 2008
    Romney, WV
    Ever look in to one of these? They look promising and get good reviews.

http://bushhawk.shopol.com/Group/5YDIQ7IWWOKX6ZMJ.htm

BH-220D.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.