Swimsuit Shoot

A friend of mine is an ex-model is thinking of getting back in the game. I have never been in this type of game so when she asked to do a swimsuit shot I couldn't pass up. I am experimenting with one and two off camera flash, as well as editing technique. I used DXO to batch process and then applied different Topaz filters. I'm open to suggestions and critiques.

1221862230_48RGS-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1221863279_5GQrX-XL.jpg

1224377607_aEoow-XL-1.jpg

1221863459_qs9f9-XL.jpg

1221864244_AKShC-XL.jpg

1221864064_GGYmw-XL.jpg

1221864656_pJV5h-XL.jpg

1221865047_urPsT-XL.jpg

1222199131_PnKDh-XL.jpg

Jon, nice set and I generally like them all. I would say that a few (1,6,7,9) could use a little more fill light on the shadow side.

#3 is just plain sweet. I like the post on it too, normally not my thing to push it but the colors really make that one pop.

#3 is neat! The post processing makes it unique. I agree that there are a few too many hard shadows on some of the images that a fill light would address.

#1-Great!
#2 Great pose, great light. Was the detail on her face lowered in post?
#3- Love it.
#4- Very nice.
#5 - Great pose, great lighting.
#6- Good pose, but needs more light on her left side. For some reason, I am drawn to her right eye.
#7- Overall, very well done.
#8- Doesn't do anything for me at all.
#9-Way too blurry!

#1, 4 and 9 look way too soft to me. Almost like you missed focus. They're good shots, but the blown focus is too distracting.

I love #3. LOVE it. The color and editing is awesome.

#1-Great!
#2 Great pose, great light. Was the detail on her face lowered in post?
#3- Love it.
#4- Very nice.
#5 - Great pose, great lighting.
#6- Good pose, but needs more light on her left side. For some reason, I am drawn to her right eye.
#7- Overall, very well done.
#8- Doesn't do anything for me at all.
#9-Way too blurry!

Thanks!

#2 was a tighter crop. When I blew it up, I liked how the crop looked so it probably suffers from that as well as the skin smoothing pp.

Agreed on 8 and 9. I probably shouldn't have shared those. I was practically shooting in the dark so focus and shooting at 1.8 didn't help

#1, 4 and 9 look way too soft to me. Almost like you missed focus. They're good shots, but the blown focus is too distracting.

I love #3. LOVE it. The color and editing is awesome.

I will concede on 9, but on my 27" monitor 1 and 4 look fine to me. #4 may be a tad soft, but it was at 1.8 and personally, I like the soft edges on this shot. Reminds me of the 70's movie style Gaussian blur.

Jon, nice set and I generally like them all. I would say that a few (1,6,7,9) could use a little more fill light on the shadow side.

#3 is just plain sweet. I like the post on it too, normally not my thing to push it but the colors really make that one pop.

Thanks on 3.

Looking over them, I probably should have been using the onboard sb-700 as a little fill light instead of just a commander.

3 and 5 for me, and agree about the fill light, especially in 1 and 2.

Thanks!

#2 would have been hard to use fill light. She was wading in waste deep water and I was shooting pretty far away with a 300mm. I wanted shadow but maybe there was too much shadow.

I'm sorry but I'm not a fan at all of the editing style. She looks like a fake painting. There are also very distracting shadows all over the place. Perhaps a reflector would have helped a bit?

The poses and outfits are nice.

John

beautiful model and great poses! I find that working with experienced models helps tremendously as they know how to pose themselves and handle facial expressions without much directing, which allows me to concentrate on behind the camera stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about the harsh shadows, it's the beach, not a studio, hard shadows are par for the course, even with only natural light. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to avoid them. Believe me I shoot in Florida, east coast, west coast, sunrise, sunset. For beach shoots, check out GW Burns, he's a great guy, I've shot with him before and attended his workshops for lighting at the beach, I recommend attending one of his workshops in Sarasota he has 3 or 4 per year, just make sure to get rid of all you "bama" crap before you cross the state line. :)

http://www.gwburns.com/

http://www.modelmayhem.com/11291

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shots and a great looking gal
I agree about the fill light (although I am still leaning to use it as well)

However, I personally don't like the sky in #3

John

beautiful model and great poses! I find that working with experienced models helps tremendously as they know how to pose themselves and handle facial expressions without much directing, which allows me to concentrate on behind the camera stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about the harsh shadows, it's the beach, not a studio, hard shadows are par for the course, even with only natural light. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to avoid them. Believe me I shoot in Florida, east coast, west coast, sunrise, sunset. For beach shoots, check out GW Burns, he's a great guy, I've shot with him before and attended his workshops for lighting at the beach, I recommend attending one of his workshops in Sarasota he has 3 or 4 per year, just make sure to get rid of all you "bama" crap before you cross the state line. :)

http://www.gwburns.com/

http://www.modelmayhem.com/11291

Thanks for those links. I like his style.

When shooting outdoors I like shadows. To me it looks unnatural to see shadows in the background but not on the model. Some of the shadows I can see are distracting where her face and eye are not lit well. I just think using shadow is as effective at setting mood as light. I'm still learning and probably didn't pull it off, but I'm going to be using shadows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for those links. I like his style.

When shooting outdoors I like shadows. To me it looks unnatural to see shadows in the background but not on the model. Some of the shadows I can see are distracting where her face and eye. I just think using shadow is as effective at setting mood as light. I'm still learning and probably didn't pull it off, but I'm going to be using shadows.

John

I agree with you, the use of shadows and even underexposure are great for mood and depth, imho many photogs don't understand how to manage shadows as a compositional tool, and simply push everything to the right, the resulting images tend to look flat with no mood or depth.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
3 kicks a$!.. awesome shots man but as said alot of them look a bit soft.. May have to use my topaz adjust a lil bit more :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom