Switched from Canon, now I need to rebuy my glass

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pixelharmony, Jul 28, 2008.

1. So I switched over from Canon this (D300 + 50mm f1.4 in the mail). I still have to sell my 40D body and remaining glass.

So with my Canon I had a 24-70mm f2.8 L, 30mm f1.4 (sigma), 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 135mm f2, and Tokina f12-24 for my UWA.

I'm thinking of forgoing the use of my zooms, I love shooting primes!! Oddly enough it seems when comparing Nikon vs Canon glass the Primes are cheaper and less robust on the Nikon side, while with the Zooms, Nikkor glass is much more $$$.

I already purchased the Nikkor 50mm 1.4. I was surprised to find it at Adorama for 290 shipped for the USA market lens!!

I'm considering rebuying the 30mm f1.4 over the Nikon 35mm f2. I'm going to give the 35mm a run first because a friend has one, but I loved the Sigma so much on the Canon that this has to be a rebuy.

I might take it slow again, but from the looks of things here the 85mm f1.4 and the 135mm f2 seem to be heavyweights in the Nikkor prime line up.

I'm thinking the 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4 (or 1.8?) and a 135mm f2 seems to pretty much be a solid line up of primes here.

I hope my collection will build fast and strong. I'm lucky for now that there are no f1.2 lenses here continually teasing me.

2. Glad to hear that you switched over to Nikon. I hope you enjoy your stay :smile:

3. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    might consider tossing the 180 f/2.8 AF-D in there if you want some reach

4. the 85 1.4, my most used lens on the D70, D200 and now the D3. i have bought many lens since this one, but none have come close to as much use the 85.

shing

5. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    You might be interested in this site:

www.NikonLinks.com

There are many lens review sites, but IMO the most reliable are Thom Hogan and Bjørn Rorlslett.

Many of the older manual lenses are excellent quality and often quite cheap.

6. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I'd suggest getting the 85 f1.4 now rather than later. This lens has some magical traits that many other similar lenses just don't have. Many of us believe that Nikon is going to upgrade this lens to AFS. When they do, the optical formula will change. This might be great, but the optical formula will change and the magic might be gone.

Personally I like the 35 f2 as well. It's quite sharp and capable of fairly close focus. I just received mine and only taken a couple of images, but so far, it's wonderful.

[​IMG]

7. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    You should note that most of these Nikkor primes are very long in the tooth now and are probably not too long from being replaced (although rumours of their replacement have been going on for many years now). Lenses like the 20mm and 24mm f/2.8, and 84mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 suffer from quite pronounced CA and purple fringing wide open which is a result of using a lens not designed with digital sensors in mind. The D300 is capable of automatically correcting most of this though so it's not too much of an issue.

You should bare that in mind before you go off and buy several new Nikkor primes and find in a few months that they've been superceeded! If you buy them second hand though they tend not to lose any value.

8. RichNY

RichNY Guest

If you are willing to manual focus there are some absolutely amazing lenses available to you for a fraction of the cost of the newer AF glass.

9. I'll probably troll around more when I have time to research the 85mm performance. It's most likely the next lens I'll purchase off the Nikkor line. From what I've seen so far it's a great lens, but then again if they move towards AF-S glass then it might be worth the wait to see the performance.

Is AF-S faster than body drive AF?

10. RichNY

RichNY Guest

The focus speed for non AF-S glass depends on what body you use it on. I am using the 85 f/1.4 on a D300 and the focus speed is fine. It isn't as lightning quick as the Canon f/1.8 but it is not a pig like the Canon f/1.2. I've shot horse racing with the lens and it acquired focus and tracked quite well. If you are planning to shoot portraits and the like I wouldn't hold off for an AF-S version to be released one day- you could be waiting at least 1-2 years.

11. 17-55 f/2.8, 30 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4

Pretty much all the glass I wanted shy of a 135mm and possibly a UWA.

How have those worked out for you? on the Nikkor lineup? I pretty much had the flip side on Canon except that my 85mm was 1.8.

BTW do you know if the Sigma 30mm QC is still known for the squeaky AF on the Nikon side of things? I'm gussing it's AF-S and not motor driven?

12. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    My Sigma 30mm made a soft rubbing noise during AF, but not squeaking. HSM lenses from Sigma are AF-S style, although not all are ultrasonic motors. Look for the ones with focus windows, and not just a ring with focus numbers on it.

Your lens choices are all solid, apart from I'd get the 50mm f/1.8 as the f/1.4 doesn't offer me anything extra that I need and it's sharper and cheaper.