Switched From iMac To MacBook Pro...

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
...and couldn't be happier!

I've been using iMacs for so long I can't recall when I got my first one. Maybe since they've been available? Or at least shortly after.

My Late 2012 Model has been doing great but over the past year, it's been showing signs of age. Things like it taking up to 3-4 hours to restart if I need to restart it for any reason, or just not being able to keep up with the newer software demands. It still works, but too many new things aren't compatible with it anymore. And I always wanted to be able to take my "Home" computer with me when traveling or going to our beach house.

So I spent the past many months trying to figure out if I want a new iMac or switch to a MacBook Pro and get a nice monitor to go with it. My sons with the MB Pros kept telling me to pull the trigger on the MB Pro and get a nice LG Ultrafine monitor and that I would love it, plus have the portability I want for traveling with my "Home" computer.

They did not steer me wrong! I now wish I had made this jump even sooner. The MB Pro (13" by the way) is awesome! I loaded it with as much RAM and storage as they offered and it's just a blazing marvel. Transferring all of my backups was a breeze and took about three hours total. And with the monitor, I now can do the dual monitor thing that so many people rave about - and I see why they do. It's great.

I'm just bummed I cannot put my beloved PhotoShop CS 6 on it. I'm not really interested in their creative cloud (I have way too many subscription services already) so I've lost all of my PS shortcuts and zippy workflow I've come to rely on. Yes, CS 6. It's still great. Don't judge! Lol!

But anyway, these little MacBooks are amazing, and if anyone is ever considering making the same switch I would say, "Do it!".

I'm a desktop person at heart but the flexibility of a laptop is too great to pass up. If I was doing it all over again, i'd get a good iMac for home and a small 13" MBP or Air for portability/couch work. Most of my stuff is stored on a local NAS now so the need for mass amounts of storage are gone.

If you want a good photoshop replacement, look into Affinity Photo. I'm a big fan.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for sharing this. My Imac is giving me problems and if I have to update, this is exactly what I was thinking I might do.
Terri, I was undecided for a long time. I just kept thinking about how much I loved my big, 27" screen on the iMac, and how disappointed I was with my workplace's MacBook Air. I shouldn't have used the MacBook Air as an example of what the MB Pro could do though, so that's my bad.

The most important thing for me was getting the right monitor. My two sons who have MB Pros both said I couldn't go wrong with an LG Ultrafine monitor. This is the one I ended up going with. B&H was the only place that had them in stock a few weeks ago. There are plenty of good choices, but the LG was built specifically to pair with the Mac so setup was instantaneous, and as a HUGE bonus, the display also charges and powers the MB Pro, so I don't need my MB cord or charger plugged in when I'm using the monitor. I have one cord leading out of the MB Pro to the monitor when it's on my desk unless it's also connected to my external backup drive. then, just the two cords, very tidy.

Since I back up my iMac every day, transferring everything to the MB Pro was a snap. I just plugged the backup drive into the MB and it was off to the races. Three hours later and it was finished.

Yes, it's more expensive than an iMac, but the portability, for me, is worth the tradeoff. And the 13" MB Pro screen is plenty large enough for me when it's not hooked up to the monitor. I was worried about that as well, but it's absolutely fine.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help you out. Let me know!

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
I'm a desktop person at heart but the flexibility of a laptop is too great to pass up. If I was doing it all over again, i'd get a good iMac for home and a small 13" MBP or Air for portability/couch work. Most of my stuff is stored on a local NAS now so the need for mass amounts of storage are gone.

If you want a good photoshop replacement, look into Affinity Photo. I'm a big fan.
Yeah, that's how I am, too. I have to say, this is definitely the best of both worlds. I have always been a desktop computer person. But I now have a nice "desktop" computer with a simple plug into the monitor (it switches the screen over pretty much instantly) and a nice portable MB Pro, all in one 13" package.

If you have any recommendations on storage, please feel free to share. I haven't looked into NAS yet.

Terri, I was undecided for a long time. I just kept thinking about how much I loved my big, 27" screen on the iMac, and how disappointed I was with my workplace's MacBook Air. I shouldn't have used the MacBook Air as an example of what the MB Pro could do though, so that's my bad.

The most important thing for me was getting the right monitor. My two sons who have MB Pros both said I couldn't go wrong with an LG Ultrafine monitor. This is the one I ended up going with. B&H was the only place that had them in stock a few weeks ago. There are plenty of good choices, but the LG was built specifically to pair with the Mac so setup was instantaneous, and as a HUGE bonus, the display also charges and powers the MB Pro, so I don't need my MB cord or charger plugged in when I'm using the monitor. I have one cord leading out of the MB Pro to the monitor when it's on my desk unless it's also connected to my external backup drive. then, just the two cords, very tidy.

Since I back up my iMac every day, transferring everything to the MB Pro was a snap. I just plugged the backup drive into the MB and it was off to the races. Three hours later and it was finished.

Yes, it's more expensive than an iMac, but the portability, for me, is worth the tradeoff. And the 13" MB Pro screen is plenty large enough for me when it's not hooked up to the monitor. I was worried about that as well, but it's absolutely fine.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help you out. Let me know!
Thank you so much! I have a lot to research!

Did pretty much the same back in 2019. Have a 2010 iMac running Sierra 10.12 and wasn't too sure that it would upgrade easily to the newest OS. Also just seemed to be slowing down and occassionaly crash. Instead of a new iMac desktop decided maybe a portable would be a good alternative. Also entering into the decision was that I was going to be going to a workshop and would need a computer to process the files while away from home.

Ended up getting the 13" MacBook Pro with 16gb. That along with a medium wacom tablet and 2 500gb Samsung T5 ssd all fit in a small padded sleeve that fits in my camera bag. At home I have the MacBook connected to my iMac so I'm currently using my 27" iMac as a monitor. Hopefully pretty soon will be getting a dedicated monitor for the laptop and looking at either Benq or the LG. Been very happy as it's also allowed me to update and work on files when away from home.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Did pretty much the same back in 2019. Have a 2010 iMac running Sierra 10.12 and wasn't too sure that it would upgrade easily to the newest OS. Also just seemed to be slowing down and occassionaly crash. Instead of a new iMac desktop decided maybe a portable would be a good alternative. Also entering into the decision was that I was going to be going to a workshop and would need a computer to process the files while away from home.

Ended up getting the 13" MacBook Pro with 16gb. That along with a medium wacom tablet and 2 500gb Samsung T5 ssd all fit in a small padded sleeve that fits in my camera bag. At home I have the MacBook connected to my iMac so I'm currently using my 27" iMac as a monitor. Hopefully pretty soon will be getting a dedicated monitor for the laptop and looking at either Benq or the LG. Been very happy as it's also allowed me to update and work on files when away from home.
John, I can obviously relate to your situation. I hadn't even thought about using the iMac as a monitor (although I knew it could work). I may take that 27" monitor to our beach house so I have it whenever I'm there. Great idea.

I have that same Samsung T5 and love it. So small and so fast!

If you have any recommendations on storage, please feel free to share. I haven't looked into NAS yet.
So I prefer Synology though i'm sure you can get plenty out of a QNAP system as well. I have a 2-bay system with two 4TB drives in them in a Raid 1 (aka redundant 4TB vs. 8TB total). They make up to 10TB NAS hard drives and they have 2-bay and 4-bay (and more) systems out there. You'll pay up front for this (I think the NAS I have was $250 and the drives were $100 each at the time) but it's the piece of mind i'm mostly a fan of. Even the little I do store on my laptop gets backed up to the NAS via Time Machine so no local drives either.

It can be set up as a Plex server, an iTunes server, store and display surveillance cameras and so on. Take a look, it sits on the network so any computer and/or user can be set up to access it with specific rights.

Congrats! I moved on from a 2009 21" iMac in 2018 to MBP 16" i7. Connecting to USB-C hub for Dell 25" 2.5k monitor, couple of backup HDs and Drobo NAS. Handles my photo editing very well along with working from home duties - MS Office suite, Webex, messaging apps.

I did pick up a 13" MBP last year for more portability as the 16 is bit too big or travel duties. Nice to use iCloud for file sharing when I switch between machines. I also use IDrive for cloud backup/offsite.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
So I prefer Synology though i'm sure you can get plenty out of a QNAP system as well. I have a 2-bay system with two 4TB drives in them in a Raid 1 (aka redundant 4TB vs. 8TB total). They make up to 10TB NAS hard drives and they have 2-bay and 4-bay (and more) systems out there. You'll pay up front for this (I think the NAS I have was $250 and the drives were $100 each at the time) but it's the piece of mind i'm mostly a fan of. Even the little I do store on my laptop gets backed up to the NAS via Time Machine so no local drives either.

It can be set up as a Plex server, an iTunes server, store and display surveillance cameras and so on. Take a look, it sits on the network so any computer and/or user can be set up to access it with specific rights.
Thanks for the information. I'll have to get myself educated on all of this because I am unfamiliar with most of it. I'm still using two simple external hard drives for storage and backup.

Anyone dangling drives off their computer (especially laptops) should definitely look into a NAS. Externals aren't bad, but their time has come and gone for leaving hooked up all the time. If it was an iMac, fine. But definitely not a laptop.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Anyone dangling drives off their computer (especially laptops) should definitely look into a NAS. Externals aren't bad, but their time has come and gone for leaving hooked up all the time. If it was an iMac, fine. But definitely not a laptop.
This is exactly what I need to get myself educated on. The only NAS I know is Nikon Acquisition Syndrome!

So, time to do some homework on this other NAS. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom