1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Switching to Nikon from Canon - help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aCab, Sep 15, 2008.

1. aCab

aCab

Aug 27, 2008
    ATL
    Posted this in the welcome forum too:

Hey guys, I'm currently a Canon shooter looking to switch to Nikon. I'm debating what I should buy if I do go the Nikon route. If I sell off of my Canon stuff, I am looking at a budget of around $3300 to spend on a body a a few lenses. What would you guys recommend? Ideally I'd buy some nice lenses, a few older Speedlights (SB-24,26,28, etc) and a cheap body (D80, D50, D70(s)), then upgrade the body in the next few months.

What are you thoughts? I thought about selling everything and buying a D90 or D300, but I'm not sure I want to take the depreciation hit of buying a newer body just yet. I am, afterall, a poor college student.

Thanks.

2. Hi, Cab. Imho, the d200 is currently the best buy in used cameras. Folks are offering packages including a well cared for body and battery grip in the $800 range. Add a used 18-55, 35/2, 85/1.8, and 70-300VR for an additional $1300 max, and a used sb600 speedlight for $150. That leaves you over $1,000 for memory cards, a camera bag, tripod, etc.

3. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Well, I went the other way. I sold my D200 to move to an MKIIn. But I will agree with Frank.

The D200 is a very capable camera unless you are shooting high ISO indoor sports.

Although new models may have some better bits & bobs, for the price, a carefully kept used D200 is a steal.

4. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

I'll add my two cents and agree that the D200 is a steal right now. If you get good glass and the D200, you won't feel the need to "upgrade" too soon.

$800 for a D200 gives you over $2400 to buy glass and other goodies.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    +1 for the D200. I'd also advise that, unless you have pocketwizards, your're better of with a newer flash (SB-600/800) than with the older ones - the ability to shoot wireless off-camera is fantastic!

6. Yep, D200 is an excellent bargain.

For lens selection......what are your passions in shooting? Do you travel and need a good walk-around lens (18-200)? Are you into birds/sports (300/4)? Like natural light portraits (35/2 or Sigma 30/1.4 and one of the 85's)? Enjoy wide angle (12-24)?

We love to help others spend money, just name yer poison! :biggrin:

7. pacent

pacent

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I picked up a D200 over the weekend with less than 14k clicks on it from craigslist for 500 bucks. It really is a fantastic deal right now.

8. I concur on the advice to look for a used D200. Terrific camera. Also, forget about one of the older flashes. They're cheap, but you sacrifice a lot of the marvelous automation that Nikon brings to flash photography if you don't get a flash capable of i-TTL.

9. aCab

aCab

Aug 27, 2008
    ATL
    I shoot mainly motorsports, cars (posed), portraits, and landscapes. My ideal set up (eventually) would be the 12-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR. What are some cheaper alternatives to these lenses? I know there is a 80-200 f/2.8 and 12-24 f/4.

What about cheap, fast primes? - that's really my main motive - being able to use cheap, older primes. I can't really do that with Canon due to the FD - EF mount switch.

10. aCab

aCab

Aug 27, 2008
    ATL
    I currently have Cactus triggers, but am looking to get some Cybersyncs. If I use the CLS system, can I still shoot with off camera strobes set to different manual settings? With Canon infared, they all use eTTL.

11. You may also want to consider a used D2H body, for fast action (motosports). They can be found for $600 or so, and while they only have 4.1MP, they are great in good light (less so at high ISO), with a pro-body, 8fps and fast focusing. I am not letting mine go, FWIW! :wink:

12. Absolutely, and you can adjust the power settings from the camera.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.