1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Switching to Nikon, initial lineup

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by shaocaholica, Jul 25, 2008.

1. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    I'm switching to Nikon from Sony/Minolta and I'm using it as a chance to slim down my lenses. So far, I've got a D700 coming around next week and also these lenses have been ordered:

Siggy 12-24
    Tammy 28-75
    Tammy 70-200

I'm still waiting on the whole setup to arrive and test. I want to go longer than 200 but I'm not sure if I want to just get a good TC or a dedicated lens. As you can tell, I'm pretty frugal so any fancy VR tele zooms are out of the question at the moment.

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Ditch the Tammy 70-200 and just go for the Nikon 70-300 VR. Don't compromise any IQ with a TC.

3. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Welcome. Very sensible trio you have. Hopefully you can get good prices on your A Mount gear.

There are a few ex KM folk about here.

I made the switch to the D200 but still have my 7D. and a very very pared down set of lenses. Dunno why though as I never use this. Guess it is nostalgia about the 7D knowing it was one of a kind.

4. If you're going to all the trouble to order a Nikon full-frame camera body, why not Nikon lenses to go with it?

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i would cancel all that glass....
    a great body with mediocre glass is worse than a medicore body and great glass

i'd rather have a d50 + 70-200vr, nikon 28-70, and a sig 10-20

so get the d700 and start with either the 70-200vr or 24-70afs

and try not to use TC's on zooms

6. One thing to consider is the lenses in terms of whether they're specifically made for DX (1.5x crop factor) or full-frame..... No point in buying a full-frame lens and then sticking DX lenses on it! While one CAN use DX lenses on the D3 and the new D700, in both instances one loses out on the megapixels, so that effectively the camera becomes a 5 or 6 MP camera rather than the full 12 MP. In many cases this isn't a huge concern unless one also wants or needs to do some cropping in post-processing.....

I think if it were me I would start with just ONE good lens (preferably Nikon) in the range in which you shoot the most often, and then after a while add other lenses as the need arises and the budget permits. Nikon's 24-70mm lens is outstanding, absolutely a terrific lens and well worth the money.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i don't get it,,,u buy nikon's latest and greatest and skip on it's most excellent glass?
    ..like Randy said ..cancel that order of glass u got going there ..better off with the 100 buck 50 1.8 and go from there .....;-)))

8. Nikon 17-35
    Nikon 35-70 (used)
    Nikon 80-200 D

9. Aren't all three of those lenses full frame?

10. Yes. Is that a bad thing?

11. I think he's asking about the original three named in the first post: the Sigma and the two Tamrons. I think that, yes, they are all three full-frame lenses, too (not sure since I've never used any of them). I was making the point about DX vs full frame lenses in general to take into consideration when making future purchases. Nikon's DX lenses are so designated, and I'm sure that other manufacturers have a way of indicating this too.

For a new full-frame camera body it would seem more sensible and more desirable to use full-frame lenses on it, for the reason I mentioned in my other post.

Last year when the D3 and D300 were announced, after much thought I realized that for the types of shooting I like to do, I would want both cameras and so went ahead and got them, as many others have done since. They complement each other quite nicely, as will the D700 and any DX camera..... I use my long lenses on the D300 to take advantage of the so-called "crop factor" and to also get my full megapixels from it if I also need to crop in post-processing. I use my D3 for everything else. It's stellar when putting a wide-angle lens on it -- wow!

12. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    Glass & Nikon FX

I think you'll find the sensor in the D700 is amazing, but magnifies any issues with the glass, hence the high end glass others are suggesting is in general warrated if you shoot in anything other than good to perfect conditions.

The suggestions for the used 17-35 2.8, 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8 is a great but frugal start, a lot of people are dumping perfectly good 17-35's and 28-70's for the new 14-24 and 24-70. And the venerable 80-200 should do you well also.

Whatever you buy, good luck with your new rig!

PS: If you shoot RAW, you may also want to get the Nikon NX as a start to make sure you are getting the best from the RAW files at the start and then comparing the results with other software you might use.

13. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    Longer than 200

The Nikon 300 f4.0 is a very nice long lens and very affordable when compared to the 300 2.8. It works pretty well with the TC 1.4, not sure about the 1.7 (I only have the 1.4)

So far I have had much more luck with the 300 than the 70-200 with a TC 1.4

14. Paulesko

Paulesko

Jul 23, 2008
    Spain
    I really don´t understand why everyone says that if you buy a nikon d700 you have to plug only the best glass you can buy. D700 is a 12 mp FF camera, it has the same density of pixels as a D50 or D70, so almost every glass out there will outresolve the sensor.

I think you have made good choices, but I will think about changing the tamron 28-75 for nikkor 24-85 f 2.8-4 and maybe the tammy 70-200 for nikon 80-200 f 2.8.

15. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    I agree with you that his lens choices are ok and that the Nikon 80-200 is a good affordable choice.

However, The Tamron 28-75 can hold its own against all but the very top and almost certainly will be more than a match for the 24-85.

The bottomline is that the OP is most likely aware of the top end lenses but has his own budget and has made generally sensible choices. Only uncertainty is the 70-200 due to it being new.

16. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    My choices are definitely based on cost and performance. I've used the Tammy 28-75 on other systems and I love it. It has great resolution and doesn't weight much or take up much space.

As for the new Tammy 70-200, there is already a pretty in depth review at DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_70-200_2p8_c16/page5.asp

And it comes ahead in all aspects against the Nikkor except that it lacks VR/IS.

Plus the T28-75 AND the T70-200 cost me ~$1050 new combined. I can't even buy a single high end Nikkor at that price point and I've already taken a $3k hit with the D700.

Anyway, I'm hoping that 12MP FF will actually shrink imperfections since the pixel pitch is higher but exposing worse edges.

17. Personally I think your choice in glass looks sound (the 12-24 is a bit of an unknown)

I hope the folks poo-pooing the choice are basing this on their own usage rather than knee-jerk "buy a Nikon"...

The 28-75 is excellent (as you know).

I agree that you should always spend on the glass, not the body, but certainly the 28-75 and the 70-200 are looking solid to me.

18. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    The 12-24 is more of a toy and it was cheap. I didn't want to put down serious money for a super wide angle but I wanted something in that range to play with. From the limited reviews (crop camera only) I've read, the Siggy isn't bad. If I could have the 14-24 FF Nikker, I would but I can't afford it and I don't need a serious wide right now anyway.

19. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    Don't let the glass elitists get you.

The tamron 28-75 and 70-200 are great lenses - provided you can find a good copy. Obviously, their AF and build aren't upto the nikkors, but in terms of pure sharpness, they are at the same level.

20. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Yeah, I knew from the beginning the AF motor and build would be less but according to DPRs FF tests, the Tammy 70-200 actually beats the Nikkor in sharpness.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.