Switching video cards... question

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Donzo98, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I am switching back from a Radeon X1900 graphics card to the original Geforce 6600 card in my G5 Dual core 2.3ghz. I need to see if it fixes my problem.

Question... do I need to delete the drivers for the Radeon card first? I know the drivers on the 6600 are in the OS.

So... what do I do?? Delete drivers, remove card and then install the new card? How do I delete the drivers if necessary??

Thanks...

2. Don,

All you should have to do is remove the x1900 and replace with the 6600. Just be sure to disconnect the power cord from the computer before doing this. You might want to hit the CUDA switch (near the battery) on the motherboard before closing the case. The computer should just boot without you needing to do anything else.

Mike

3. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Thanks Mike.... so no need to remove the drivers? Where is the CUDA switch?

4. Nope, you can leave the drivers alone.

As far as the CUDA switch, not sure why you would want to hit that? I know that you can just swap out video cards without doing anything else and it'll work.

5. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    All MAC video cards are manufacture to communicate through the motherbroad ROM base on Apple's factory spec. That's why driver usually is not necessary for MAC and why MAC is a truly plug-n-play computer.

Only a handful hi-end video cards for video broadcasting purpose will have a driver for specific features and adjustments. Those cards usually cost a few thousand dollars.

6. In fact you might just want to reset the cuda switch without changing cards and see if that fixes your problem.

7. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Switched cards yesterday... no problem doing the switch. So far... so good. No freezes so far. :wink::wink:Maybe I fixed the darn thing.

8. All Mac video cards have software drivers.