Swordfish Still Life

I've never seen such a thick slab of swordfish, so I simply had to photograph it. Now I can't wait to eat part of it. This slab is so big that it will make three meals for me and my wife, so I'll freeze two-thirds of it.

Setup
The tabletop and background are different models of vinyl floor tile. A small continuous-light lamp at the height of the tabletop in the left front area lit the front of the food. Another one high on the right lit the top of the swordfish. Eighteen focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.

Mike 2021-08-03--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thank you to Rick and John!

Where did that come from?
If I accurately understood the manager of the local Safeway, the swordfish that's not prepacked is sent to them that way in a frozen state. He lets it thaw (because his department has no saw) and he then cuts it into a typical thickness, which is one-third as thick as this. He didn't have any swordfish on display and could only provide me with this thick cut and I was thrilled. So, consider asking your Safeway seafood manager if they have something like this in the back and not yet on display.

I've been getting our seafood from Wegman's near Dulles.

Wegman's has a nice selection of seafood but at two to three times the price everyone else sells comparable seafood, I can't justify it.

How will you prepare the swordfish?

I have two swordfish recipes that call for broiling the fish. One is with an Indian barbecue sauce and I often serve that one with corn on the cob. The other is with a relish of onion, saffron, cilantro, mint leaves, raisins, lemon juice and pine nuts on top of the fish.

I also like to include bite-size chunks of sword fish in seafood pasta dishes and in seafood soups and stews.

I have two swordfish recipes that call for broiling the fish. One is with an Indian barbecue sauce and I often serve that one with corn on the cob. The other is with a relish of onion, saffron, cilantro, mint leaves, raisins, lemon juice and pine nuts on top of the fish.

I also like to include bite-size chunks of sword fish in seafood pasta dishes and in seafood soups and stews.

Thanks, Mike. My problem with swordfish is that it tends to be dry and a bit chewy, so simple grilling or pan frying doesn't work well. Your sauces would help with the dryness.

My problem with swordfish is that it tends to be dry and a bit chewy

It's never going to have the same texture that a light, white fish has. In that sense, I can understand why some people would consider it chewy. However, when cooked properly, swordfish should be quite moist and not the least bit dry. My experience is that fish is too often overcooked, which will especially make swordfish dry. If it's dry, that's an indication that it has been cooked either too long or with too much heat, or both.

My problem with swordfish is that it tends to be dry and a bit chewy, so simple grilling or pan frying doesn't work well.

I forgot that I have a recipe that calls for cooking the swordfish on a cast iron grill pan, so I thought of you tonight as I cooked the fish. I heated the pan over high heat until it was almost smoking, then cooked the 1/2"-thick meat 2 1/2 minutes on each side. The fish had beautiful grill marks and was fork-tender and juicy. Indeed, there were no knives at the supper table.

I cooked it using my modification of the following recipe: https://www.winemag.com/recipe/grilled-swordfish-recipe/

Last edited:
I forgot that I have a recipe that calls for cooking the swordfish on a cast iron grill pan, so I thought of you tonight as I cooked the fish. I heated the pan over high heat until it was almost smoking, then cooked the 1/2"-thick meat 2 1/2 minutes on each side. The fish had beautiful grill marks and was fork-tender and juicy. Indeed, there were no knives at the supper table.

I cooked it using my modification of the following recipe: https://www.winemag.com/recipe/grilled-swordfish-recipe/

Sounds good, though I would want it more done than that recipe describes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom