Sylvester - a portrait (added 2nd pic)

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by cajun angel, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Okay, I'm sitting on the floor with my camera, sb800, and Gary Fong stuff watching his video and Sylvester jumps up in the kid's chair. Well, I thought why not! Okay, I think I had the cloud sphere on my flash with the dome thingie on it. I took 6 photos using with/without the thingies that go on top and both the spheres. I was just fooling around okay! I thought Sylvester looked rather cute. I used my 18-200 VR lens too!

473119240_f8d348efee_b.

View attachment 92532

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  2. :biggrin: :biggrin: LOVE the expression on his face!!! Wow, you're so lucky to get your kitty to be anywhere a camera. Mine slinks away the minute he sees a lens, whether or not it's even attached to the camera!

Lighting looks right on the money to me. I don't have the Gary Fong thingy so am not knowledgeable about all its bits and pieces, but this looks pretty evenly lit.

3. Thanks Connie! Sylvestere is my "funny boy." He can be skittish, but oh he can also be quite a cuddle bug too! I'll post another photo I took last night. It's more of a close up. Funny, he just sat there, didn't move except his ears and eyes. The Fong spheres are well worth the money in my opinion! The video was extremely well done and showed examples with the sphere, without, and with the thingies that go on top.

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    What a beautiful cat. I used to have one like him. She lived to be 18 years and alway believed she was one of the dogs and they believed that too. She ate and played with the dogs.

Beautiful portraits. I love the second one. Very sharp.

5. Really nice shots of a beautiful cat

6. Thanks Torben! I haven't owned a dog in over 18+ years and I miss it at times! I once had a German Shepard that wouldn't let any of our farm cats go out of the yard. He'd pick them up like a mother does her young, carry them back into the yard, and set them down on the back door step! Sylvester is quite a character! Thanks again!

7. Thanks Gary! Just wish I could get the other 2 as well!

8. Sounds like you have a house full

9. We have a total of 3 cats. All have a unique story. And yep, between 3 kids with 2 feet each and 3 kids with 4 feet each, and a 44 yr old hubby who acts like another kids, yep, I have a houseful alright! But, I wouldn't have it any other way! The cats keep us entertained a lot!

10. That second shot is a beautiful portrait, Dianne. Well done, love his eyes.

11. Thanks Sandi! I was just experimenting - comparing the different looks I got. These 2 were the closest to just looking at him. I know some may not like them, but I think Gary Fong has some really cool stuff! His explanations and demos are great!

12. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    very well done and a great subject

13. Thanks! He's a fun cat!

14. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Cute, Dianne! I really like the second one. How's the practice going?

15. Thanks, Sharon! Sylvester is quite a character and be downright hysterical when he feels like it! I'd like to say in the 2nd one, he's being a little cross with me and saying something like ---- did I give you my permission? LOL!

On the practice, Mark is going to be my subject today. We're gonna do some shots in the hallway at my church. Tomorrow I'll do some practice shots in the actual recital room. Between all that I have to work on shots in the sanctuary where the grand piano is. Most the the problem I had before was wrong camera settings and I think I have most of that worked out by now - I hope! I hope to have some photos to post later this evening. Thanks for asking!

16. Sounds like you're getting your ducks in a row now, Dianne! :smile: Looking forward to seeing your results tonight! Have fun, too, while you're practicing!

17. Dianne, your second shot is very nice indeed.

Louie

18. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Just beautiful!!

19. Thanks Connie! We practiced this afternoon except Mr "know it all" kept trying to tell me what to do and then in every photo his eyes were closed! :frown: I'll post a couple later. I experimented with several things and wrote them down. I still can't believe he had his eyes closed!:Dizzy:

Thanks! I should have posted that one first, but I was trying different combinations on the spheres thingies.

Thanks! I had fun with Sylvester!