1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Syncing multiple strobes

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Beezle, Apr 10, 2007.

1. So how does one connect more than one strobe to a camera? Even at BH I can find PC sync cords, but no "Y" connectors or anything else that suggests they can be chained or combined.

How does one do it?

2. carlsson

carlsson

Jul 29, 2006
    Hi,
    why still bother with cables?
    Just take radio slave triggers and get rid of the strips. Not quite up to the pocket wizards, many ebay sets do their job for little more money than sync cords.

Carlsson

3. Or simple optical slaves will work over shorter distances.

Ronnie

4. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    If you like building your own stuff, then Strobist has an article on synch cords (part 2 has all the juicy details).

And that was followed up by how to add an extra strobe.

5. Actually he never addresses that, even though there is a photograph of a cord with two ends.

So has nobody ever synched up more than one strobe using cords?

Amazing.

6. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Did you see the second link? There's a diagram that shows 2 strobes connected to one camera.

7. No I didn't. Thanks!

8. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
  9. What a dope I am. All of the flashes I use have built in optical slaves.

Elinchrom and Alien Bee.

Silly me!

10. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I was going to ask why you didn't want to go that route . . . thought there must be a reason . . . :smile:

The AB radio triggers are cheap though, and work very well.

11. I have 1 Pocketwizard on my D200 and 1 on my main Alienbee 800. The other 2 AB 800's fire off the built in sensors. Works flawless!

John

12. Yeah here I thought the "eye" button on the Elinchrom was for redeye reduction! :biggrin: :rolleyes: 

On the ABs it's automatic if no pc cord is plugged in.

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I use my SU-800 to trigger my Elinchrom's from the camera, and a sync cord from my meter.

14. So the Elinchroms will fire off from the IR (or whatever it is) pulse given off by the SU? Interesting!

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It works for me. Most of my studio work is head and shoulders stuff so the lights are not spread out. The other interesting find was that my Sekonic meter tries to read the IR as well, while my el-cheapo Polaris meter does not.

16. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    My Flashpoint strobe will fire from the IR of the SU-800 but it has to be LINE OF SIGHT only so it's pretty limiting. I just use the optical slave.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.