Syncing Outlook and Google calendars....?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Apparently this is very hard to do. Richard convinced me to get a gMail account but our main family calendar is on Outlook.live. I'd like to synch the calendars, but haven't found a way to do it.

I found THIS article and tried downloading the last suggestion Outlook Google Calendar Synch. But, the app doesn't need installing and it doesn't give me a way to enter the two email accounts and perhaps passwords.

Any suggestions?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The way I do it is to add the gmail account to Outlook.
This automatically syncs the calendar at my end.
What hurdle are you facing?
There is nothing in my gmail calendar. We have used Outlook forever. I just wanted to be able to see our Outlook calendar from within my Google account, but from what I've read about the only thing I can do is import the Outlook calendar periodically. So I guess it is easier to just log into Outlook and view our calendar there.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
What is your "Outlook" Calendar? Which account does it read from?
Not sure I know how to answer that. The url is Outlook.live.com/mail/inbox. Our mail email account is Outlook and so we have for years used the Outlook Calendar also. I recently got a gMail account and am gradually switching things over to it.

Thanks I think I am getting it.
Outlook live is the web-based version of outlook.
Mine is linked to an old hotmail account, yours to your [email protected]

Now synchronising your Outlook online to Gmail/Calendar.
Not as easy as using Outlook in Windows but let's see.
Getting there :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
let me try to share this file which shows the steps

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I only just saw all this. I'm glad you worked out that Karen is not using Outlook, she is using the old Microsoft email systems with the "live" calendar feature. (They changed the name to Outlook Live to make them sound better, but this is nothing like Outlook.)

Karen. The simplest thing to do is stop using your current calendar and use the gmail calendar. I see no point in having two calendars and synching them. The gmail calendar works well. You can display multiple calendars. It works really well with Android phones. Mine updates in both directions the moment I get wifi access on the phone.

I only just saw all this. I'm glad you worked out that Karen is not using Outlook, she is using the old Microsoft email systems with the "live" calendar feature. (They changed the name to Outlook Live to make them sound better, but this is nothing like Outlook.)

Karen. The simplest thing to do is stop using your current calendar and use the gmail calendar. I see no point in having two calendars and synching them. The gmail calendar works well. You can display multiple calendars. It works really well with Android phones. Mine updates in both directions the moment I get wifi access on the phone.
Yes that was fun.
I had to log in my Outlook web which is my Outlook 365 home online.
And Gmail/GCalendar.

Yes, Gmail Calendar is great, nice features like "reminders" etc. You can sync your Outlook.com email account to go directly to your Gmail email as well.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

Yes, Gmail Calendar is great, nice features like "reminders" etc. You can sync your Outlook.com email account to go directly to your Gmail email as well.
But our MAIN and ONLY calendar is on HIS email account. 90% of the events on the calendar are common events or impact one of us directly. We don't want or need two calendars.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
But our MAIN and ONLY calendar is on HIS email account. 90% of the events on the calendar are common events or impact one of us directly. We don't want or need two calendars.
Let me explain. Yes, you really do want two calendars, if you do it right. There will be things you don't do together. This is the best way, I'll explain how.
You each have a gmail calendar.
In each of your accounts you also show the other person's calendar - and even more people if you want.
All the calendars get automatically combined. Each calendar has its events shown to you in a colour of your choice.

It is never a good idea to share any sort of account - whether email, calendar (or in my opinion and experience of people I know, bank accounts).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom