1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

System disks...

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Stef, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I have a question that I couldn't find an answer for. I have an i5 27 iMac. Its been slow starting up lately. After reading this board about disk permissions, I ran that utility. Sure enough it says I have an error and to boot from the disk. Now, this is where my problem arises. We had a fire last August and though my computer was in the opposite end of the house and did not receive any damage, the box for the keyboard that had all my paperwork and system disks in it has gone MIA.
    How do I go about repairing when I cannot locate the disk? Is there a way to get a replacement? Ugh...if it's not one thin, it's another. :frown:

2. contact Apple Customer Service......I have found them very good to work with

3. snow leopard disk is only $29.

ask apple if they will help you first.

you could always borrow a disk from someone.

you probably have more serious problems than simply having permissions fixed.

4. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Thanks for the help. I will see what I can find out by contacting them. :smile:

5. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Update.... thanks again for the help. I went to the apple store and purchased a snow leopard disk. It seems to have helped, but now I have a boat load of updates to install....

It's worth it though, because now my iMac starts super fast, like it was new again. :Love:

6. great!

good luck!

excellent time to clean crap off your hard drive.

also, start up from sl disk and repair hard drive.

7. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I was repairing the hard drive. I just re read my original post. I wasn't trying to repair permissions, I went in to verify disk and it told me there was an error. :redface: This is what happens when I get frustrated. Things come out wrong.

I have the 1 TB drive and have only 60 GB used. I keep everything on my external drives. I don't think there is much on there that I can delete.

I did download that onyx program and did some cleaning that way. Cleaned up a little, but there really isn't much to clean.

At any rate, thanks to those that helped me. My computer is good as new. Did I mention lately how much I love Mac computers? :Love::biggrin::Love:

8. sounds good.

enjoy the rest of the day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.