Tagged Swans......Hierman Reserve

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Dec 19, 2005.

1. I'll be contacting the Swan Society here today, maybe I'll be as fortunate as Jim was :smile:

These first three are from yesterday, the third is not as sharp as I'd like, it is a 1 bird crop from the next shot in series, but the tag numbers are legible. Do these Red Tags look like they have some sort of radio device as well?

#1:
    [​IMG]

#2:
    [​IMG]

#3, the cropped version:
    [​IMG]

This crop would have been difficult with the D2H I think.

Here is one from a couple of weeks ago, different colored tag, fit much looser as well.

And here is the Green Colored tag, which looks like just a plain band:
    [​IMG]

I never saw any of these last year, at least not that I remember, it will be interesting to see what the Swan Society has to say.

2. Hey glad to hear that you are enjoying the new D200 I know the masses are watchign to see the results fothis new camera. Good luck with the swan banding!

3. Thanks, Mike. I never noticed any banded birds last year, but then again there are several hundred there. It will be interesting to see if this is new this year, and what they are doing with them. Hope that the information helps the Society as well.

As far as the D200, so far so good. I have some High ISO stuff that I really like, superb when exposure is on, and decent even when I am quite under-exposed. Need to look at those bits a lot more. But for now, it is a definite keeper.....:wink:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bill,That definately look like a tracking devise. They will be thrill for the sighting and image .. Well at least I hope so.
    Look for a Swan society on google. Tha may help as well.

Beautiful bird for one thing and great shots.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I have never seen a swan in the wild.

5. Thanks, Gale, I was pretty sure those were tracking devices, different than the Green tag. I just noticed something. December, Red and Green tags, hey, the Swans are in the Christmas Spirit!!!!

I just sent an email to the Swan folks, I do hope this helps them out. We are really fortunate to have such a population show up each year. Being on their migratory route, and having farmers that actually plant for them during the winter, really helps.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Christmas Swans.
    Thats neat :>))

Sure hope they reply to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Bill I have shots from last year with the bands showing. I do not remember any red ones though.

8. I got a response back from the Swan Society and I will be going out with them to document recovery of birds that have died from lead poisioning in our area.

The Red Collars are indeed Radio Tracking collars, there are about 180 birds surviving which are banded as part of the lead-die-off study. The Green band is from a study in the Yukon Territory, a Rocky Mountain bird which has apparently relocated. It's partner died last year at this location.

Look at the Swan Societies Web Site for more information.

As an aside, I searched Google today for the "Bob Heirman Reserve" to get a bit of info and guess what? One of my Swan albums came up #2 on the list, and I didn't even pay Google!!!! :biggrin:

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ohhhh what great information Bill..
    That is wonderful. Congratulations , I am very happy for you.
    Jim on one side of the country and you one the other ..
    Really great.

Keep the up-dates coming.

I will check the link.