Take my D70s on Alaska kayak excursion?

So we're going to Alaska next week and we're booked on a kayaking trip (2 person kayaks). My worry is my camera. I don't think I will have room to bring along the backpack, so likely I would simply have it around my neck the entire time. Would you be worried with the weather (possible rain) and water (big ocean) messing up the camera? We do have pocket options, but I want to use my 70-300VR to capture some wildlife. I did pick up some rain sleeves for the camera which would protect it a bit. Thought?

Maybe Sandi (TOLady) will respond to this, as she does this all the time (but perhaps in smoother water). My wife and I sometimes take a D70s along in a canoe in mild whitewater, but we use a floating Pelican case tied to the canoe thwart, and only get the camera out when it is safe to do so.

A small dry bag will house the camera with lens attached. They are about 10-15 bucks at any outdoors store. There are ones specifically made to fit in the cargo hole on a kayak. I put mine in one when rafting. Your camera will be exposed when you are using it but other than that you will be safe.

P.S. I have the dryzone 100, great pack but too large for what your talking about.

Chris, a drybag will work but not if you dump in. If you do dump in, grab that bag and get it out of the water quickly. Pelican cases are the best for waterproofing cameras in a kayak. A dryzone bag is not great for kayaking because it takes quite a bit of doing to get it in and out of the bag quickly. It's more for storing camera gear. I recommend taking a LOT of towels with you as your gear and your hands will get wet even on a dry day with calm waters. Just the nature of the sport.

In talking to the manager of Nikon Canada, I discovered that all their cameras and lenses have gaskets around each and every opening. If you do get water on the camera, wipe it off but don't worry too much about it. Mine is a recreational kayak so there is plenty of cockpit room. I keep the camera with a long lens laying on the bottom of the kayak with a towel over it when calm paddling. It's always ready for a shot. One HUGE suggestion for photography from a kayak: TAKE THAT STRAP OFF. You'll only catch it on things and cause an accident $$$$$ to happen. I never have the strap on in the kayak. Lay it down flat where you know it's safe and work from there.
If you need any further info, just shout. I can't wait to see what shots you get from the water - best vantage point for a lot of animals.

Thanks Sandi...since this is a one time affair, I guess I'll just stick with the dry bag for now. So you wouldn't recommend having the strap around my neck most of the time? I guess I'm not overly familiar with kayak layouts, but it sounds like there is plenty of space in the cockpit so that is good. I doubt these are professional kayaks and they will have a bunch of yahoos riding in them who want the storage space! Thanks for the tips, we'll see how things go.

Latest threads

Top Bottom