Take the tripod on vacation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trynforpar, Jul 23, 2008.

1. OK so here is a similar verion of a question I raised a week ago. I going to California on vacation and debating if I should take my monopod of tripod. Both the tri and mono are carbon fiber so the weight is not a significatn issue. It's more the daily walking from location to location and is it sensible to lug around the tripod. I do want quality results but I'm struggling with whats the best decision. HELP!!!

2. Depends

I did for the Christmas Holidays and had a paid contract to fulfill, other than that I don't but I do see a lot of people with tripods while on vacation. So it really depends on what your vacation is about, photography or rest... I do take a lot of pictures while on vacation but the tripos is not for vacations unless it is a once in a lifetime opportunity where I want to best possible images... As such it is really up to you.

3. Thanks

Hence my struggle. I'm spending a few days at Yosemite and will have some great photo ops but the tripod is bulky.

4. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    I live in West Virginia, so if I had the opportunity to shoot for a couple of days in Yosemite, I'd take the tripod....wouldn't want to need it and not have it.

Have a great vacation!

5. I'd take it.

Monopods are cool and I use mine more than my tripod, but if I were going somewhere where I knew I wanted to capture good images, where I might want to be in the scene (family shots) then I'd take my tripod with me.

Or invest in a small travel tripod.

6. Yosemite

Yosemite! That changes things - take the tripod without regret :biggrin:

7. I take my tripod all the time

I don't always like handing my camera to someone else, so that I can be in the picture

I have taken lots of shots with the camera setup in the hotel room, and my gf and I on the balcony, with the city in the background

I hate returning from a trip without any 'couple' shots

Definitely for Yosemite!

Have a great time

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    agree with all above

Yosemite= tripod

9. Take it!!! :smile:

10. It depends on where you are going and how you travel, but traveling by car I would of course take my tripod. when I went to Europe i bought a cheap but terrific little tripod, about 66" tall with 4 or 5 joints, it was flimsy but very compact and weighed very little, I could slide it into my back pocket. I got some nice night time shots with it, but did not use it as much as I had thought I would. Consider a window clamp type device also.

11. I almost always bring my tripod when I travel on vacation. But it doesn't mean I bring the tripod every minute of the trip. I'll only bring the tripod with me when I want to take low-light shots or when I'm planning a pano.

Enjoy your trip!

12. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Not knowing your lenses (speed?, VR?) and shooting preferences (night? dusk?) will greatly affect my recommendation. We just returned from 2 weeks in Northern CA. All lenses f/2.8, virtually no night images, so as usual, I left both the tripod and monopod at home. I never take a tripod on vacation; a monopod only if taking 200 /2.0, 300 /2.8, or 200-400VR.

I would rather carry 2 bodies every day - which I did (with two of these lenses: 14-24 /2.8, 24-70 /2.8, or 70-200 /2.8) when walking around than one and a tripod for shooting in daylight with D3 and D300. If low light shooting was your preference, the answer would be different. I did not take either of the 3) long lenses on this trip, so the monopod or tripod was not needed.

13. I always have a tripod with me when I travel. And though I typically don't use it for urban shooting I was glad to have it with me in Portland when I had the chance to shoot this:

6858309-md.jpg

14. Take both...you just may need them:rolleyes:

15. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Another consideration for us is size and weight of what "goes". Flying for a 2-week visit with 2 shooters, we carried on: 4 bodies, 8 lenses, 4 flashes, and a heavy high def video cam. Checked in 2 weeks worth of clothes, medications, etc. We left the long lenses, tripod, and monopod at home for weight / space reasons.

16. Great feedback

Hey thanks everyone for the advise. I'm going to take the tripod and tehn share the pics I took with the cafe.

17. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Definitely take it. I just returned from a family vacation to visit family but knew I was going to Glacier so I took it and used it a lot. Better to take and not use than need it and not have it.