1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Take the tripod on vacation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trynforpar, Jul 23, 2008.

1. OK so here is a similar verion of a question I raised a week ago. I going to California on vacation and debating if I should take my monopod of tripod. Both the tri and mono are carbon fiber so the weight is not a significatn issue. It's more the daily walking from location to location and is it sensible to lug around the tripod. I do want quality results but I'm struggling with whats the best decision. HELP!!!

2. Depends

I did for the Christmas Holidays and had a paid contract to fulfill, other than that I don't but I do see a lot of people with tripods while on vacation. So it really depends on what your vacation is about, photography or rest... I do take a lot of pictures while on vacation but the tripos is not for vacations unless it is a once in a lifetime opportunity where I want to best possible images... As such it is really up to you.

3. Thanks

Hence my struggle. I'm spending a few days at Yosemite and will have some great photo ops but the tripod is bulky.

4. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    I live in West Virginia, so if I had the opportunity to shoot for a couple of days in Yosemite, I'd take the tripod....wouldn't want to need it and not have it.

Have a great vacation!

5. I'd take it.

Monopods are cool and I use mine more than my tripod, but if I were going somewhere where I knew I wanted to capture good images, where I might want to be in the scene (family shots) then I'd take my tripod with me.

Or invest in a small travel tripod.

6. Yosemite

Yosemite! That changes things - take the tripod without regret :biggrin:

7. I take my tripod all the time

I don't always like handing my camera to someone else, so that I can be in the picture

I have taken lots of shots with the camera setup in the hotel room, and my gf and I on the balcony, with the city in the background

I hate returning from a trip without any 'couple' shots

Definitely for Yosemite!

Have a great time

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    agree with all above

Yosemite= tripod

9. Take it!!! :smile:

10. It depends on where you are going and how you travel, but traveling by car I would of course take my tripod. when I went to Europe i bought a cheap but terrific little tripod, about 66" tall with 4 or 5 joints, it was flimsy but very compact and weighed very little, I could slide it into my back pocket. I got some nice night time shots with it, but did not use it as much as I had thought I would. Consider a window clamp type device also.

11. I almost always bring my tripod when I travel on vacation. But it doesn't mean I bring the tripod every minute of the trip. I'll only bring the tripod with me when I want to take low-light shots or when I'm planning a pano.

Enjoy your trip!

12. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Not knowing your lenses (speed?, VR?) and shooting preferences (night? dusk?) will greatly affect my recommendation. We just returned from 2 weeks in Northern CA. All lenses f/2.8, virtually no night images, so as usual, I left both the tripod and monopod at home. I never take a tripod on vacation; a monopod only if taking 200 /2.0, 300 /2.8, or 200-400VR.

I would rather carry 2 bodies every day - which I did (with two of these lenses: 14-24 /2.8, 24-70 /2.8, or 70-200 /2.8) when walking around than one and a tripod for shooting in daylight with D3 and D300. If low light shooting was your preference, the answer would be different. I did not take either of the 3) long lenses on this trip, so the monopod or tripod was not needed.

13. I always have a tripod with me when I travel. And though I typically don't use it for urban shooting I was glad to have it with me in Portland when I had the chance to shoot this:

6858309-md.

14. Take both...you just may need them:rolleyes: 

15. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Another consideration for us is size and weight of what "goes". Flying for a 2-week visit with 2 shooters, we carried on: 4 bodies, 8 lenses, 4 flashes, and a heavy high def video cam. Checked in 2 weeks worth of clothes, medications, etc. We left the long lenses, tripod, and monopod at home for weight / space reasons.

16. Great feedback

Hey thanks everyone for the advise. I'm going to take the tripod and tehn share the pics I took with the cafe.

17. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Definitely take it. I just returned from a family vacation to visit family but knew I was going to Glacier so I took it and used it a lot. Better to take and not use than need it and not have it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.