Taking A 31 Day Break From The Internet - I'M BACK! :)

Real Name
Andrew
So; I asume you'll not participate in the "Octoberfest"? ;););)

Enjoy your break Andrew - I still live without cellphone and realized I don't need it...

Kind regards
Klaus

Sadly, no virtual Octoberfests, but there are quite a few here in Ohio - Cincinnati and Columbus having some pretty substantial events.

Here is the note FB is showing me now, it comes along with a photo from a year or two ago.

“Rich, we care about you and the memories you share here. We thought you'd like to look back on this post from 1 year ago.”

I've debated this for a long time, but I have finally decided to do it.

I need to take time for me and my family and I think a positive step toward that is to release myself from social media and a lot of what goes on in internet land.

I've noticed here lately that once safe havens have become increasingly hostile. The rhetoric on the internet just keeps increasing and the trolls are out looking for people to victimize more than ever.

I'm not going away forever, but I want to see what affects I can make for the good in my life by cutting out all those internet things I do and visit on a daily basis.

So, that means for me that 31 days of:

• No internet forums of any kind / No Feedly
  • I'm going to filter my email to only those things that I need to address like paying bills, and family communication
  • No instagram/facebook/twitter at all (I've enough business content that I can schedule out posts for the 31 days I'm not going to be monitoring it)
  • I'll communicate via my phone with calls and texts for those that have my number. For those that do not, I'll leave my Facebook Messenger notifications up and respond only to important matters
I'll let you all know the results of my condition after this detox. :D

Know it is nothing personal to anyone here, but I do have a quite a few of you I communicate with on the regular and I don't want any of you to worry where I may have gone. The answer is no where permanent, more like a month long vacation.

My plan is to start this Oct. 1 2018
All things in moderation.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Enjoy the time off, I limit social media, media and internet at various times to reset, but I always come back, however, it does allow for a balance. Balance and time off is good.

Most of the time, on a daily basis I hang out here and at MacRumors, my two main forums covering my two primary areas of interest, and I also recently started again looking in on DPR every now and then. Also am a member of a couple of Amin's other forums, too, but usually don't post much, just look in from time to time. Aside from that, I also check in fairly regularly on a couple forums devoted to two different singers whose careers I like to follow. I am on FB but really dislike it; I don't post anything about myself there and have pretty strictly limited "friends" and such as well as stringently establishing privacy settings. I am on a couple of FB "Groups" which are again devoted to one of the singers I like, and I do comment or ask a question now-and-then, but that's the extent of my participation. I also have a Instagram account, but don't post anything there, just have the account for convenience when someone on a forum mentions that they or someone else has posted an image I'd like to see and perhaps (rarely) comment on. A long time ago I set up a Twitter account but haven't done anything with that in a long time and don't even think to check it regularly. Basically, social media and extensive activity in it just isn't my thing.

Two weeks ago I decided to "disconnect from Facebook". I had all these groups I was 'managing' and eventually realised they were managing me - always checking to see who wants to join, breaking up arguments, taking abuse from people who misinterpret what I say ..... I handed all of my groups over to others and unfollowed everyone and only use the site to sell stuff [marketplace is useful] and buy stuff on the nikon gear group I originally started. It is so much more relaxing, I even did some gardening like a 'normal' person on the weekend. It also gives me more time to check in occasionally to nikoncafe where things are well moderated. I also concentrate on updating my website and blog and 'living life' in general. You don't need to 'totally disconnect' unless it is something you feel necessary - it's just a matter of setting priorities and keeping things in their place.
I had always thought you were pretty keen starting all those groups! Good on ya for cutting a few ties.

Having grown up in the '60s and '70s with only TV, radio, newspapers, typewriters and telephones, I've long been amazed by the internet. When I first experienced it in the early '90s (while working at a college) I got a big kick out of showing students, "Look, you can just click and go anywhere in the world!"

It's a great research tool, and also a great way to stay in touch with people from all eras of your life.

But lately! The bad news is, every idiot with a cellphone on every block has a worldwide, immediate voice (with video) and the clashing clamor is jarring! Never before in history could you hear everybody everywhere at the same time! It's way too easy to follow every bit of current news at any time. And even things you want to keep up with are too much. Reminds me of Bruce Almighty.

Beside photo-related engagement I also do genealogical research, which is a great way of "checking out" of the contemporary madness for a quieter engagement while still using the web daily.

Real Name
Andrew
Hello, all!

I just wanted to take some time and report back on my 31 days of hiatus, “internet fasting”, blackout or whatever you want to call it.

I want to first say that I did, indeed, miss some of my internet only friends. People like you here on the forum. There are people here that have a level head, great conversationalists and good knowledge to share.

Not being on the internet as much, I thought would be a difficult proposition for me. Turns out, it was not that difficult. I realized it was a lot more of a habit than a need. Then that habit started affecting my personality. I started taking things too personally and trying to associate with people that I have no common ground or interests and they seem only interested in trolling. The realization that I can stay out of a conversation is powerful. Just don’t engage!

My responses to what I choose to interact will be greatly different as well. I’m no longer going to return hate/troll/attacks in kind. I’m going to be someone who shares their opinion/experiences, which others can take it for its worth. My interactions are going to going to come from a heart of life not from hate.

I’m OK with disagreements, but it is way too much of an “in-thing” to go about bashing the people and things that you don’t agree with or don’t understand. It’s OK to not be on the same side and have all these things disparate things still exist together. Different is not bad, it is a natural part of the way that existence works.

As a consequence of the 31 days, I’ve been less stressed out. Not being a slave to the social media “ding” on your phone for an Instagram/Facebook/Twitter like of someone sharing every moment of their lives. I’ve turned those services notifications off as well. Now, when my phone pops that notification – it’s from someone in my life that needs that immediate attention. There were people close to me that needed my help and attention that got pushed to the back burner because I grew numb to all the notifications and just started ignoring them.

Reconnecting back, will be done so sparingly. I’m going to cut down on the amount in both number of places I visit as well as the time I visit them. If I chose to check out items on social media, I’m going to limit the when and how long. I’m going to clean out the “friends” and “following” lists to those people I know and not just someone looking to pad their numbers.

Getting more time in life back has allowed for me to get to the better things in life. I recently had a conversation with a good friend of mine. Yes…face to face and not over the internet. LOL. The basic premise was that sometimes you need to give up the good things to get the better things. Case in point, I’ve been using the 31 days to restructure my photography business model. Just in this short time period, I stopped taking some jobs that may make me a lot of money but I’m not really interested in doing. Since doing that, I’ve been able to accept more work that interests me. My quality of work has increased and I’ve gotten more cold call work from referrals as a consequence. While the other work may have been good to do, passing on it has given me the ability to get to the better work.

I’ve been able to reconnect more spiritually as there is much less “life noise” and I have more clarity of thought to concentrate on what matters most to me.

Having more time, I have been getting out more and shooting more photography. Talking about it on the forums can sometimes be a substitute for actually doing it. Digging out my old manual focus lenses and using them more has been a boon. The Yashica Y35 camera that I backed on Kickstarter finally arrived. I’ll have a full review on that…but I was able to get out there and SHOOT with it.

Being out there, people notice you and I actually got the opportunity to shoot images of a 1951 Pontiac that a family just received from their grandfather’s estate. Not going to get those opportunities writing on forums! I was out on another shoot and they just came up and asked if I would do the shoot for them.

I feel that because I’ve been less stressed, I’m more approachable. My wife often tells me that I have a bad case of RBF anyway, which normally keeps people at a comfortable distance for me.

A plan is in place for me to start taking my videography more seriously. Some initial projects are in place to begin with, just need to execute.

Life in general has just been better! Having more time to connect and reflect on things that matter instead of being bogged down with triviality is so freeing. Getting “me” in order, “getting my house correct” has put me in a better position to be able to help others. That includes those that are within my personal circle as well as volunteering for those less fortunate. This was one of the first things I realized as a benefit because I was able to help my wife through some of her own personal struggles. She saw how busy I’d become and didn’t want to bother me with things she thought trivial. To me, nothing that causes my family any kind of trouble, stress or pain is ever trivial.

Thinking about my approach, I gave too much credence to the internet and stuff. My care and focus should be more and will be more on people, their ideas and artistic expression. This also factors into my responses to people and what the goal was. Too often, I went into the discussion wanting to be right and getting them to agree with my point. I should have been trying to find out where they wanted to go and what their goal was and then provided feedback like that. I heard what they were saying, but I was not properly listening. Sometimes that is easy to do when there is a lot of noise out there to try and sift through. My goal should always be to help, be kind; never to be argumentative, mean. I need to listen more and speak less and when I do speak, ensure that it is something worth saying.

Lastly, I realized that I need to and want to engage with people more and learn their story and not just be a “drive-by” kind of person. Everyone has a story and that story unfolds over time and is not something you can digest over 5 blog posts about the best settings for a camera and off camera flash. I’m not saying that every tech post I see I need to learn about that person and their backstory. What I’m saying is that for a community to thrive and have fellowship within the community, we need to care about the people we interact with on more than “what can you do for me” way.

If you get to a point in your journey and find that you are losing your way or need a refresh, I highly recommend cutting out all the unnecessary distractions in your life and declutter. It has given me a lot of personal freedom and allowed me to think and get closer to being the kind of person I want to put out there into the world.

Thanks for reading.

Andrew

Real Name
Andrew
Thanks for the update. It sure like it was a positive experience. Curious, is this something you could see yourself doing once a year? or every couple of years?

That is possible. I'm hoping that even though I come back, i'm not going to go back at it as intensely as I have in the past and with a much better attitude. If I can do that, I think that I would not need to go to such an extreme. Going at it like this will allow me to slowly bring into the mix those things that I need and divest from the rest.

Latest threads

Top Bottom