Taking Photos At Work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PAFirefighter11, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Hey all. I've been meaning to ask this question. I take photos here at my work. I am not the main photog, but I do get my fair share of shutter time. The photos are used both online and are published in a 326+ page catalog as well. I use the equipment that is supplied (D300, two Hasselblads, studio lighting, etc.). Sometimes I do use my D70s as well.

How does "credit" work when it comes to my personal port? Am I allowed to show the catalog page and explain that I took this photo and that photo? Or show the cover and state I took the photo, if in fact I did? The main photog does this with her personal port and claims catalog cover shots. I figure I can/should do the same?

Someone here (he's a know it all and assumes knowledge of everything!) stated that any photos taken for "work" are property of work and I cannot claim that I took those photos or I could be sued. Is there any truth to this or is he way off?

Thank you!

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You can certainly claim that you took them, but your employer most likely owns all rights to the photos.

3. So basically, I can say I took the photo, but cannot sell it. Is that correct? :)

4. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

What's mine is mine. What's yours is mine

I did this for a company, though not on such a professional basis (gear wise). I used all of my gear for taking pictures of merchandise, floor layout and events for the company website.

Before I did I demanded that I get credit to ALL pictures taken by me. I even went so far as to have a contract drawn out between the company and me. I was paid a little extra for time to edit photos at home and for location shots. In my scenario I own the rights to the pictures and put conditions on the contract as to howl they can be used.

In your case I think the company might own the pictures but you definitely can claim credit as photographer. As a matter of fact, depending on the type of catolog I would imagine that your name should be in there somewhere anyway. If not, I still don't see why you couldn't make claim.

5. We don't list credit for photos in our catalogs. We're a mail order company so we're selling product. No glossary, special thanks to, etc. That's fine by me as long as I can claim the photo credit. That makes me happy, thank you!

6. If there's no contract between you and them, the company would probably argue that they own them and don't owe you anything for using them in any way because it was WMFH.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

Sean

7. I don't mind about not having the ownership, just giving credit to myself. But thanks for the link, I will check it out! I signed no contract related to photography as that wasn't my original hire position.