Taking Pictures at Work v.nonpros

Anybody else take a lot of photos for work, but not as a "photographer"?

The last 5 biology jobs I worked all involved taking some pictures as part of the sampling protocol. Currently, I am often taking 500+ shots/week for work. Between me and my crews, there are close to 13.5k images from this spring/summer on my computer! The crews mostly just take photo points and plot pictures, but I have a little artistic freedom for my qualitative shots of areas we work.

We use mostly Olympus superzoom P&S, but I bring my D200 around too if I don't have to hike more than a few miles.

nice :)

I've been informally told by my marketing director that I'm now the photographer

I told him I'd send him my price sheet

no projects yet - but it could be good experience for me

Yea, lots. I teach in a college of natural resources and take 100's of shots of field/classroom/lab work for use in teaching, publications, etc. In the old days I could get the cheap bas., er, I mean the University, to buy the film and pay for slide processing, now. . .? Oh, well, I did get a Pelican Case at a really great professional discount, with no tax, and ...! I've even shot many for my wife (at a neighboring U). At both I do insist on credit for all they publish. And I did get a free lunch, once.

Real Name
Chris
One of the reasons I like my job is that because I work overnight, there's usually not much if anything for me to do. Just have to take care of a few planes that come in, but usually it's only about 2-3 hours worth of work, and I'm here for 10 hours a night. I've cleared it with my boss, and they let me take pictures while I'm out here. As a result, I've gotten some pretty decent (by my standards, amazing by theirs) photos of our company's planes and some military jets at sunrise, or at night. So far they've bought 3 photos to put on the walls, and keep going back and forth about having me do some shots for the website/ adds. so although not really taking photos FOR work, I'm taking them at work, and selling them to the boss.

but the other question i guess that is going to be involve is the copyright issue, now who going to own the copyright, believe that you have to be clear that off first with your employer, get the contract sign to clear who own it.

but the other question i guess that is going to be involve is the copyright issue, now who going to own the copyright, believe that you have to be clear that off first with your employer, get the contract sign to clear who own it.

That is already very clear...if i take it with a work owned camera, they own the rights but must give me credit if a photo is used. With my personal camera, I own the rights, but must give them permission to use the photos if I take them when I'm on the clock.

Depends on how you want to define "as a photographer", I suppose. I document accident investigations, compliance audits, and supporting information for other types of reviews all of the time with my gear - it's why I bring it with me on assignments.

But I've never quite parsed and microtomed the roles so thinly, always considering that I'm a photographer and an accident investigator etc. at the same time... :wink:

John P.

Anybody else take a lot of photos for work, but not as a "photographer"?

I used to. I was taking pictures of used equipment to advertise. Even as documentary shots, I found that simple things like paying attention to the corners of the picture (to keep other machines from poking in) helped to improve the photo. The camera I had back then had a binary dynamic range. Either too light or too dark. It forced me to learn about exposure compensation and working with the direction of light. I also learned a lot about simplifying organizing photos when I was doing that. Taking pictures of 50 machines in one afternoon meant I needed to be able to quickly get them segregated so I could identify them when it was time to put them on line.

My job duties have changed, so now I only get chances to document customer events such as this tractor photo. This one got sent out with a press kit. My first published photo! And no I didn't get paid other than being allowed to apply company time to this venture. I also got the chance to try some different things I've never tried before as a photographer.

DSC_5171.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The golf course photo below (or similar ones) will probably be used for some presentations by one of our departments. Again I don't mind. I got a chance to roam a private golf course at 6am getting some neat sunrise and grounds care photos. It was my work connection that got me there, so they can use some of the photos for whatever they want.

_DSC0990%20Westmount%20Golf.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

all about copyright, you never know what happen if your photo maybe use for something big, and you won't be feel sorry at that time, right?

I take a lot of photos for work. I am not a pro but my command knows that I enjoy photography on my off time. I am often asked to photograph things for history records, project progress, awards ceremonies and such. I use my own camera, write stories for the base paper and have fun doing it. For my efforts, I have been able to get help from the base public affairs officer for media credentials for various events in and around Reno (to include the Reno Air Race, PGA tour stops, etc). Overall, my shooting experience at work has been great and has helped me progress in my photographic skills, I am given more time to practice during work hours.

God Bless,
David

I am in the middle of a dispute with my employer over an invoice for a paid corporate event shoot. After the shoot, they insisted I sign a 'service provider' agreement with terms contrary to my original invoice. One of the terms I couldn't possibly meet and provide this occasional service involves liability insurance minimums, another term has to do with intellectual property. It is unlikely I am going to initiate a lawsuit over several hundred dollars with the spoon who feeds me. My advise, be careful and if any compensation is involved, be very careful.

Real Name
Chris
all about copyright, you never know what happen if your photo maybe use for something big, and you won't be feel sorry at that time, right?

I ran into this a few months ago, see this thread.
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=231222
to sum it up, on of the guys at work sent my photo in to a non profit organization for them to use in a newsletter without contacting me, no photo credit or anything. even after it was printed the only way i found out was from a friend saying hey, this looks like that picture you took...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the photographer, but I proved to my management a good P&S is a time & $$$ saver & they bought us 2 nice Canon's SD 500's I think. Not too shabby !

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom