1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Taking pictures INSIDE a museum: have YOU been allowed to do so?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spalding12, Jul 27, 2008.

1. i called the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg today.
    they told me that security will NOT allow any cameras inside
    then... i remembered the Louvre thread here by "THE DUDE" and how folks were shooting inside

so....
    WHICH is more common?

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Greg, I photographed inside the Field Museum without any restrictions other than they want to know if photographers are using tripods. Apparently they want to keep the number of tripods low so tripping hazards are minimized.

3. It depends on the museum. I have photographed in a couple in and out of state but it seems a bulk will not allow it.

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I've been told no photography in two museums/stately homes in the UK. They explained it:
    - no tripods for people to fall over
    - no big camera bags to bump into things
    - no flash to cause light damage.

I offered to just bring in my camera and disable the flash but they wouldn't allow it

:-(

5. yeah, frank
    that's what i thought
    no flash/no tripods
    when the guy told me about the DALI Museum restriction on photography, i was shocked
    i even told him.... "how can you no allow me to shoot in there, when you can shoot all you want at THE LOUVRE?"

he didn't care about hearing that, of course :redface:

6. thanks for your experience
    makes me feel a bit better, i guess

7. hmmmmmm
    maybe THE DALI MUSEUM is in the majority.... :frown:

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    most places in NY you can photogrpah

certain displays are not allowed, but they are cleary marked

no flash is rule of thumb for most subjects

9. thanks, frank
    that's what i had thought

10. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Photos can be used for "casing" a robbery. I'm certain this is the concern.

11. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Interesting question Greg, in the UK I've experienced mix response. Some places will allow cameras (allthough most insist no tripod and some no flash) while some will have a blanket ban on all photographic equipment.

From what I remember most of the big museums in London allow photography in most of the sections. Others (notably Manchester's main art mus and lesser Urbis gallery are strictly photography free).

At the Imperial War Mus I was asked to sign a document to confirm that I planned to not sell any pictures, however I've not seen this elsewhere.

I'd say (in terms of the places I've been) it's about a 50/50 split between photos allowed and not allowed. In any case all of these places are happy to sell you very expensive prints of the building and its contents in their gift shop!!

12. i suppose so
    but, if most places were afraid of that... why would THE LOUVRE, which certainly houses many more "desirable" things than most museums allow photography?

13. thanks for your insight and thoughtful post
    that last sentence surely is true... :smile:

14. Have you ever been in a museum that did NOT sell reproductions? So to have the odds in their favor, museums like to provide you with plausible and not so plausible excuses why you can't photograph the object of your desire...

15. i suppose that you are correct

16. Greg -

The Louvre is fine with cameras, and does (as it *should*) set the world-class standard for others to follow, but sadly . . .

budgets for the arts in the U.S. have lagged, and many museums cannot afford to provide either the people or the electronics to safeguard their holdings. Some exhibitions don't have authorization for photography from their contributors. Plus, there have been several high-profile, widely-publicized art thefts and I sense a widely-shared "suspicion" about photographers in general - why are these individuals taking pictures anyhow? - lol.

Nonetheless . . .

I had the chance to visit the Minneapolis Institute for Arts at the end of May. I sent inquiring e-mails in advance and had very quick responses. I think I even could have asked their permission to use a tripod. When I got there, I was happy to show the "security guy" the contents of my Domke bag, and was asked to do so again when I left. It was a delight, and the place was filled with treasures (as well as visiting schoolkids' classes along with an excellent place for lunch).

I guess I can't blame them, and I can understand their plight, although it is frustrating.

http://www.artsmia.org/

http://www.pbase.com/catalyst/mnpls_institute_of_arts

Eric

17. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

We are allowed to shoot in the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art here in Kansas City and I recently took my camera to the Harry S. Truman Library in Independence, MO. The Truman Library had a posted warning about no tripods and flash photography.

18. your points are well-taken
    interesting info about your visit to the MIA
    i appreciate your post and insight

19. sounds like the way it OUGHT to be
    thanks for taking the time to read and tell us about your experience
    i appreciate that

20. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

point and shoot in museum mode ie no flash.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.