Taking pictures of those subjects who don't want their pictures taken

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Disagree.
Medicine, treatment and care is subject to very clear and stringent laws. With ultimately courts having the final say.
Fleeing from a crime, how do you know that he is a criminal or a victim?
The UK Police ran a great campaign a few years ago of a black man running away and people shouting, to make you believe he was a criminal when later it is revealed he is the policeman chasing the whit criminal.
"Perp walks" are also subject to some laws and regulations which vary from country to country.

Disregarding the other red-herring answers for brevity's sake, you are saying that if you were carrying a camera at the ready and saw someone running down the street, followed by 'people shouting' you wouldn't take a picture because he might not want it taken - or he might be a 'victim'?

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Right, I know I would not.
That situation would simply not occur as by the time I would be ready to act the moment would have gone.

you are saying that if you were carrying a camera at the ready and saw someone running down the street, followed by 'people shouting' you wouldn't take a picture because he might not want it taken - or he might be a 'victim'?

You really want to elude the question.
Assuming you actually do take pictures and have a camera and both your camera and you were ready, would you take the shot?

Why are you Photographing in that location:

Is it for journalistic reportage purposes?
Take the necessary shots, and do it efficiently and effectively.

Is it for your own personal enjoyment?
Observe social etiquette and good manners; make friends; and don't make yourself obnoxious!

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Why are you Photographing in that location:

Is it for journalistic reportage purposes?
Take the necessary shots, and do it efficiently and effectively.

Is it for your own personal enjoyment?
Observe social etiquette and good manners; make friends; and don't make yourself obnoxious!

I treat every situation pretty much like Ann does.
If I see a situation where I may make a meaningful image I do my best to get the shot within the same constraints as Ann.

If I asked permission for every shot, that would make every image into street portraiture, inserts me into the situation and I specifically don't want that.
Mountains, rivers, grass, flowers, etc. don't care about pictures and are thus relatively easy to shoot; not to mention that one can come back later.

upload_2019-4-3_6-41-57.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

upload_2019-4-3_6-42-31.png

upload_2019-4-3_6-48-53.png

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I wrote this somewhere else and thought it might be useful here.

"The famous American cultural critic, H.L. Mencken, once said that, “For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”

My attitude on street pictures is:
  • I don't want to be part of the photo, I want to influence what I capture as little as possible.
  • Unless it will cause a significant problem for me, I ignore religious or cultural issues about privacy or photography.
  • On the other hand, I will respect any individual's expressed wish not to be photographed unless they are committing an antisocial act that should be captured.
  • I try to respect anyone I shoot, whether I contact them or not. I don't shoot recognizable people, usually street people, who are seem to be suffering, either from economic want or mental issues. I would be using their agony to add impact to a photo that might have no other point except capturing their misfortune.
  • In that same vein, I won't use someone's misfortune or embarrassment as camera fodder, no matter their social or economic status. I was at a wedding when and a young women tripped and fell flat, her dress sliding up over her bared butt. A photo might be marginally funny but at her expense. Not for me. I have no interest in humiliating, embarrassing or hurting people who are innocent.

For those who have firm stands on never shooting people without permission, perhaps you could point out which shots that you wouldn't have taken.

upload_2019-4-4_11-56-57-png.171147

upload_2019-4-4_11-48-24-png.png

upload_2019-4-4_11-49-9-png.png

upload_2019-4-4_11-50-33-png.png

Latest threads

Top Bottom