Taking Portraits with D800

I just bought my D800 and it's a lot different than my D700. My D700 gets pretty great skin tones, but I'm having issues with the skin tones from my D800. For example, when I'm indoors and using natural window light, I shoot cloudy WB, but with the D800, I get a strong yellow tone. Yuck! Auto seems to be funky as well. I'm wondering if this camera is really meant for shooting portraits in natural light. I know it's great for landscapes. Is there any tricks or tips I should know about for photographing people in natural light? I thought the color/WB would be more accurate than with the D700. Frusterated! Thanks for your help.

i have the exact opposite problem. the WB on my D700 has always been way off but the D800 that i just purchased nails the correct WB almost every time. looking forward to the replies so i can figure out how to correct the issue in my D700.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
If you are using natural window light, you should be setting WB to daylight. That is daylight coming in through that window. If the colors are vibrant enough with daylight WB, add some but don't use cloudy WB. That will definitely make them look too yellow.

Latest threads

Top Bottom