Tales of the Philippines

Real Name
Ken St John
I've been busily reading/re-reading some books by one of my favorite authors, James A Michener. His first novel, "Tales of the South Pacific" recounts his experiences on the islands of the Pacific as a naval officer in WWII. Although his descriptions were centered on the Soloman Islands where he was during the war, his writing reminded me of our trips to the Philippines and so I decided to reprocess some of the images that my wife, Lulu, and I have taken there. As I recall, most of these were in the Coron and El Nido areas, west of the main island of Luzon. Technically they're more on the South China Sea rather than the South Pacific ... but to revisit them does remind me of Michener's descriptions!!

Most of these were reprocessed in DxO2 and I am really liking the results.

Near the end of a cold, gray, rainy, NW winter, it does make one kind of think about how nice a trip to the tropics would be right now, even though I'm generally more of a mountain/desert person than a beachgoer!!

DSC_0651.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0652_DxO.jpg

DSC_0884-Edit.jpg

DSC_0723_DxO.jpg

DSC_0819_DxO.jpg

DSC_0831-Edit-Edit.jpg

DSC_0892-Edit.jpg

DSC_0935_DxO.jpg

DSC_0840_DxO.jpg

Thanks for dropping by!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
How could you not like the results? Very well done!

I wonder if you would consider cropping #5 at the bottom to eliminate most of the foreground information.

Mike

Took your advice ...
DSC_0819_DxO.jpg

Makes it almost into a pano ... which is not a bad thing!! The original (#5) was already cropped to 16:9 so I could eliminate some distracting pieces of the boat we were on that was in the extreme bottom of the "out of the camera" image!!

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Great set! I've read quite a few of Michener's books. Just re-read "Hawaii" -- it had been 25 years since I read it the first time!

Glenn

"Hawaii" is coming up on my to-do list. A bunch of his books have been released on Kindle which works better for me. The tiny typeface of most of his "traditional" books don't seem to work as well with my old eyes as they did when I was younger!!

Ken

"Hawaii" is coming up on my to-do list. A bunch of his books have been released on Kindle which works better for me. The tiny typeface of most of his "traditional" books don't seem to work as well with my old eyes as they did when I was younger!!

Ken
Yes...I definitely went with the Kindle version. In addition to font size, the hard copy book is quite heavy!

Glenn

Latest threads

Top Bottom