Talk about a Dukes Mixture *image heavy*

This post will go from one spectrum to the next. Monday morning came to find me sitting in a fog bank in an area wetlands hoping to get a few shots of some target birds I need. One of those birds was a Dickcissel. A pretty common bird, but one that has evaded me on getting "the" shots I wanted.

I try to take my images as close to the subject as I can. I strive for full frame shots are as close to it as I can. This morning, I was finally able to capture that goal for this species. I had VERY soft light this morning due to a HUGE fog bank that was lifting up behind me to the east over the mighty Mississippi. As such, the feather detail is subtle but its there.

D300s, 600VR, 1.4tc, f/5.6, ISO 400
1373_S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is a 85% crop of that same shot to show the feather detail I was speaking about.

1373_hs_S.jpg

#3 This shot was a much longer shot...
1479_S.jpg

Then this female Black Bird flew in on a nice perch and offered me some shots. Wish she would have been closer, but there was no way I could get closer due to the water and vegatation between us.

1463_S.jpg

1419_L.jpg

Then...for the other end of the spectrum...while working my way out of this wetlands, I came across a very rare site in these parts anymore...King Rails. This female was out with her 5 chicks and they just ate and ate and ate. This Rail family is making alot of waves in the birding community now...folks are coming in from all over Missouri to view them. They are so uncommon here anymore, and when found, they are usually viewed at great distances.

1662_L.jpg

1671_L.jpg

Time to show the kid how its done.

1682_L.jpg

Leap of death.

1714_L.jpg

Is that for me?

1779_S.jpg

After the feeding sessions, the adult female then preened herself and fluffed up to dry. The chicks all went back and sat down in the shade and slept.

1826_L.jpg

Hope you enjoyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mighty busy background on the Rail shots Jason... not what you are used to shooting is it:tongue:still you have taken a tough shot and made it look :Love:ly Something about shooting the songbirds just gets me pumped up:biggrin:Well done there buddy.

Jason I sure do learn a lot when I read your posts. Great job on these. Two species here I have never seen before. Your hard work shows once again in fantastic images.

Thanks for all the replies...as to where this was taken, this was taken at the Clarence Cannon National Wildlife Refuge outside Annada Missouri. Due to the recent extreme rains, the pools the rails were in are now much to deep for them and now are very hard to find and to do that...a LONG hike is necessary to reach a certain pool way in the back.

Latest threads

Top Bottom