Talk about a nightmare! I got this email

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is about a beloved favorite place to shoot photos! Mods, if I've overstepped a rule, please take appropriate measures and I apologize for my blunder.:redface:

edited to add: ya'll feel free to post photos of National Parks that you've visited too!

Please watch the evening news as any plans you have to visit the Refuge may be affected. Unless a budget is approved, the Refuge will be closed to the public until further notice. This means no hiking, no fishing, no driving through, no programs. The Friends will not be allowed to offer any activities for the duration. We hope you will understand and will stay tuned for developments.

Information will be posted on the Friends website, as we receive it:

http://www.friendsofhagerman.com

as well as the Friends Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-Hagerman-National-Wildlife-Refuge/157317297471

Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dianne,
unfortunately it is all national parks that will be affected. I have plans to be camping in moab next week. While i will still be able to camp I may not be able to go to arches, canyonlands...on the bright side deadhorse point is a state park, but that will only occupy 1 of my 4 days down there.

Dianne,
unfortunetly it is all national parks that will be affected. I have plans to be camping in moab next week. While i will still be able to camp I may not be able to go to arches, canyonlands...on the bright side deadhorse point is a state park, but that will only occupy 1 of my 4 days down there.

I just can't help but cringe - I love Moab too, we were there back in 2005 and it was the best vacation I've ever been on! For me, Hagerman is a place I can go to almost as often as I want, get out of the house, shoot photos or just drive around and see what pops up or flies in. Thanks to Hagerman, I've seen my first swan, wild turkeys, and so much more! I also see these unfortunate closings as a deprevation to our kids - they deserve to see and experience these places! I hope to see photos from various National Parks from who ever wishes to post one. I'm gonna start posting some too. Let's keep it all in this thread. Who knows, maybe someone with a little influence will see it.

MOAB National Park - Utah Vacation 2005 taken with my CP995

5601118555_5923f3b8cf_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5601702890_4de2435df2_z.jpg

5601702778_77587a2edf_z.jpg

Smokies press release: What burns me, even if the road is open you can't pull off? Incredible! They may well block off overlooks, close parking lots, who knows... Whole thing stinks.

If the Government implements a shutdown, nearly the entire Park would

be closed beginning Saturday, April 9, all Great Smoky Mountains National

Park facilities would be closed, including visitor centers, campgrounds,

picnic areas, trails, concession operations, restrooms, and all roads, with

the exception of the Newfound Gap Road between Gatlinburg and Cherokee.

Newfound Gap Road (U.S. 441) would remain open to through traffic

only. No stopping or parking along the road or at trailheads and overlooks

is permitted, and all restroom facilities would be closed, including those

at Sugarlands Visitor Center near Gatlinburg, Tenn., the Oconaluftee

Visitor Center near Cherokee, NC, and Newfound Gap. The Clingmans Dome Road

which is accessed off Newfound Gap Road would be closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel bad, my wife is a federal employee and is subject to being furloughed. If they don't back pay her for lost time it is like us being heavily taxed without it being called a tax. The whole thing does stink as this stunt by our elected officials is an embarrassment on us all. Had I run my finances like this I would be put out on the street. Sorry for the rant. I'm just upset at what I see and am done commenting about it.

We have a trip planned in Yosemite in 3 weeks, so I guess it will be cancelled(?) How long is this shutdown going to last?

Here's Tunnel View at Yosemite that I shot in 2010....

4662770968_6896cd3ab3_z.jpg

We have a trip planned in Yosemite in 3 weeks, so I guess it will be cancelled(?) How long is this shutdown going to last?

Here's Tunnel View at Yosemite that I shot in 2010....

until they settle on a budget :eek::eek:

by the way...great pic
the first, and only time ive been to yosemite was a couple of months after i bought my first slr...pics didnt turn out that good

I love that photo of Yosemite! It's just a shame the parks have to suffer. I called Hagerman a few minutes ago and if this mess doesn't get settled, they have to close all gates, no pass throughs or anything and fines if caught will start at $200. They won't be able to answer the phones, but will have to make the rounds as normal. So, if a rare bird shows up, we can't go running to see it! :(

Here's a few from the Painted Desert in AZ (taken with CP995 in 2005)

5601135097_c4b4e2a85c_z.jpg

5601134937_9e589b0a94_z.jpg

5601719384_a418dbed73_z.jpg

5601719194_3eb02a76f0_z.jpg

EDaniels

Will the congressmen and senators get paid? Will the IRS close?___ I just couldn't help myself; what about the president's pay???

Will the congressmen and senators get paid? Will the IRS close?___ I just couldn't help myself; what about the president's pay???

Per today's News reports: Congressman, Senators and President continue to get their pay.

IRS DOES close. All audit activity would be suspended. And, if you're waiting for a tax refund, you'll at least have to wait until this whole thing is settled.

Will the congressmen and senators get paid? Will the IRS close?___ I just couldn't help myself.

Per today's News reports: Congressman, Senators and President continue to get their pay.

IRS DOES close. All audit activity would be suspended. And, if you're waiting for a tax refund, you'll at least have to wait until this whole thing is settled.

guys, those are good questions, but let's please not bring in the politics part - I'm trying to keep this thread about our National Parks - if they're closed, what shall we do for fun with our families, photography, etc.
If y'all have some photos of a National Park that you've been to, please post them!

Interesting post! I was thinking the exact same thing today. I feel bad for the many people who planned their vacations this week.

I hope this shut down doesn't happen, and if it does I hope it will end quickly.

Real Name
Ralph
guys, those are good questions, but let's please not bring in the politics part - I'm trying to keep this thread about our National Parks - if they're closed, what shall we do for fun with our families, photography, etc.
If y'all have some photos of a National Park that you've been to, please post them!

Sorry,Dianne.You are right.

Good news! They're voting on a continuing resolution to extend this till Thursday so the parks will be open this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom