Talk me into a D750

Guys, guys, guys...
The Nikon F3 had a production run of 21 years (1980 - 2002). Did it made bad pictures after all that time?

I believe a production run of 2 to 4 years is to short. Look at the prices of new cameras - most of it is developping costs.

Kind regards
Klaus
It's not fair to compare a film camera to digital, where the technology has been improving rapidly. However, I think we may be near a long-term plateau in sensor performance, so I tend to agree with you on a longer upgrade cycle than we've had over the past 10 years.

JLH

I was a "DX" guy but just wanted a full frame. A couple of years back I picked up a D750. Trouble is I never warmed up to it. I ended up using my D7100 more as I seemed to get better results with it. I didn't sell the D750 although I was tempted to as I just didn't use it much. Now I have a new D500 and it has become my favorite shooter. I am still trying to figure out why my D750 just never did as well as my D7100. Could it be the 24-120 lens? I also have other FX lens including a 14mm, 50mm, a 100 macro (Tokina), a 200-500 and a 70-300. The camera went back to Nikon for the shutter and they set the focus and such on it. Still it just never has lived up to what I expected.
Odd thing is when I use a flash it improves greatly and even gets really sharp. This makes me wonder if its an exposure issue. But I try fine adjustments but just can't get this camera to do what I have expected of it based on all I have read. Now that I have my D500 the poor D750 gathers more dust.
I will keep trying to master the D750 as I am stubborn and always blame myself first. I must be doing something wrong with this camera. I just don't know what. I want to love it....and keep trying...just not there yet (after a few years no less!).

The D750 is a much better camera than the D7100 and the 24-120 f/4 should not be holding you back unless you have a bad sample.

Which lenses are using with your D7100 that produces better results than the D750/24-120 combo?

Real Name
Ian
A couple of years back I picked up a D750. Trouble is I never warmed up to it. I ended up using my D7100 more as I seemed to get better results with it.

Now I have a new D500 and it has become my favorite shooter. I am still trying to figure out why my D750 just never did as well as my D7100.
Can you post up some shots from the D750 that you weren't pleased with, as well as the EXIF information?

What was it you weren't pleased with? Lens sharpness? AF accuracy? Metering/Exposure accuracy?

For all intents and purposes, the D750 is a better camera than the D7100. Better metering, better focusing system, etc. Having said that, the D500 is a fantastic camera (I own two of them), but there are still advantages to be had from the D750 (namely high ISO performance).

Hi JLH,

I traded my 7500 in for the 750 plus added grip as was on sale. When I load the raw pics into Lightroom can’t really tell any difference. But my shots are in daylight situations.
If I had it to do over again would have kept the 7500 and spent the money on lenses. I feel the expeed 5 sensor in the 7500 and the 500 have really closed the gap.

JLH

I got distracted with a wife who had a stroke and never got back to this thread. I realize its been dead for a time but I did want to reply. Since I first wrote it I have added yet another body, a D7200 picked up used for a nice price. I find I use it a lot due to its performance improvements over my D7100. I have been using my D750 more and have added some prime lenses for it. I think my original disappointment in it was more a factor of the "kit" 24-120 lens that came with it. That lens is "OK" but not great. Its interesting comparing the D750, the D7100 and the D7200. They each have their own "personality" it seems.
The D750 is wonderful in low light. It sees better in the dark than I do! The D7200 does well also, more so than the D7100. But, there is more to it than just that.
After adding a new Dell high-res monitor (Finally spent the money) I found that suddenly many of my old pictures looked vastly better. Yeap, a great monitor is important and useful. Next I found I needed to pay attention to the settings more. A little fine tuning of exposure made a big difference. But still, that 24-120 just never excelled. Competent but not compelling I would say. Stopped down it would look better but not great.
On my D7200 and D7100 the Standard lenses seem to work better than that 24-120. Same goes for the 18-80 on my D500. Oddly enough I look through old shots with the 18-105 on the D7100 and I see some great shots. Maybe I just got a good sample of the 18-105 and got a 24-120 that was less great. I also get very good results with my 18-140 on the D7200.
I have not given up on my D750. I have seen moments when it would shine brightly given certain circumstances. My D500 seems to always be wonderful and gets used the most although on a recent trip to the shore in North Carolina the D7200 got used a lot. Some of that was me not wanting to spray down my D500 with that salt mist.
I do like the commonality between the controls on the D7100/D7200 cameras and the D750, it really speeds up my shooting.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom