Tammy 18-400mm Should I or Shouldn't I ?

This lens is sparking my interest. It certainly has an awesome range of focal lengths. I have read many reviews and the are positives and negatives to this lens. Adorama has a $100 discount on this lens plus a free Tamron Tap-in. I have watched videos on how to use this tap in. It is very confusing to me. Have any of you used this lens and the tap-in.
All comments appreciated...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi ac. This new lens is a lot lighter than my Tammy 150-600mm. It weighs in at 4.39 pounds. The 18-400mm weight is 1.55 pounds. Quite a difference. I have always had to use a tripod with the 150-600mm. Perhaps with the 18-400mm I could use a teleconverter.

Hi ac. This new lens is a lot lighter than my Tammy 150-600mm. It weighs in at 4.39 pounds. The 18-400mm weight is 1.55 pounds. Quite a difference. I have always had to use a tripod with the 150-600mm. Perhaps with the 18-400mm I could use a teleconverter.
1.55 pounds is OK when you are younger than me.
As I've gotten older (and injured), the kit that used to be an easy carry has slowly gotten harder to carry.
So I've abandoned MAX IQ, and fallen back on the concept of "good enough," in order to reduce the weight of my kit.

The discussion is that the 18-400 is lighter than the total weight of an 18-140 + 100-400.
But you are carrying the weight of the 18-400 ALL THE TIME. Though call.

At 400mm I think you will need a monopod or tripod, just because of the 11x magnification level, even with VR.

I wonder how the 18-400 will work with a TC? That used to be a recipe for disappointment, but new lenses and TC are much better than my experience back in the film days.

Is this a full-frame or an APS-C lens? What are the effective apertures? It seems to me that with such a huge gap in focal range that probably it is not going to produce as really crisp, sharp, clear images as would be desired. It may cover a wide gamut in range but may not actually do well at any particular length. My guess is that a TC would not be useable with this lens, but if you are really interested in also getting a TC, good to be sure that it is possible to use one with it before putting down any money to purchase the lens.

Is this a full-frame or an APS-C lens? What are the effective apertures? It seems to me that with such a huge gap in focal range that probably it is not going to produce as really crisp, sharp, clear images as would be desired. It may cover a wide gamut in range but may not actually do well at any particular length. My guess is that a TC would not be useable with this lens, but if you are really interested in also getting a TC, good to be sure that it is possible to use one with it before putting down any money to purchase the lens.
The 18-400 is a DX lens.
Yes, a "jack of all trades, is a master of none." But it may be "good enough."

Definitely sounds like a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of lens! Thing is, will Olshroom be satisfied with "good enough"?? I recently had to weigh this decision for myself when thinking about a long lens for walk around, and one of the options available sounded very tempting in terms of price and weight, both important factors. Another lens was significantly more expensive as well as being heavier. The less-expensive lens could not take a TC. I mulled things over, did more research and finally made the decision to go with the more expensive and heavier lens, reasoning that for what I had in mind "good enough" would probably end up just being frustrating to me. I already had specific plans for what I would be shooting with the new lens, and quality would matter. I figured that I had already spent a chunk of money on the camera body, why put a lens on it which would feel like a compromise and probably end up not being satisfying to me? So I waited a bit longer until I was financially prepared to go with the lens I really wanted, and in the short time I've been using it I have been more than happy with it, have gotten some nice results with it and feel that I made the right decision -- for me. We all have our own priorities and particular situations, of course.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom