Tammy 90 DI does Crepe Myrtles

Here are a few Crepe Myrtle photos made in our front yard. I love the bokeh created by the Tammy and also enjoy its tack sharp rendering of the subject.

Your comments and criticism will be very welcome. Thanks for looking.

No. 1 (Post Processed using DXO labs film add on to add the Fuji Velvia look)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No. 2 - Crepe Myrtle Buds

No. 3

Watch out for bright reds/blues

Maji,

It looks like the red channel is blown out in the first one. You have to watch exposures on shots with a lot of primary colors like reds and blues in them. The meter on a DSLR pays much more attention to grays and greens, and will over-expose reds and blues. I'd open that image in PS and look at the expanded histogram. I bet you'll find that the red channel is smashed against the right side, so you're losing detail.

I find I need to back down the exposure by 1/2 stop or more if I'm shooting a bright red or blue subject. My D200 will show me an expanded histogram with separate red/green/blue channels, and I check it if I think I might have a problem, and adjust and re-shoot if I need to.

Duncan and Rich,

Thanks for your comments.

The first one is that kind of red, because I just wanted to try out the DXO Labs filmpack's Fuji Velvia simulation. That gave that kind of over saturated colors.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom