1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tammy 90 DI does Crepe Myrtles

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Maji, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Here are a few Crepe Myrtle photos made in our front yard. I love the bokeh created by the Tammy and also enjoy its tack sharp rendering of the subject.

Your comments and criticism will be very welcome. Thanks for looking.

No. 1 (Post Processed using DXO labs film add on to add the Fuji Velvia look)

2644727840_4dd4e1aedb_b.

No. 2 - Crepe Myrtle Buds

2643935779_8871d077fa_b.

No. 3

2644797684_d561c5c271_b.

2. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Wow, very...pink. Nice images

3. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    I certainly like the second one.

4. Paul and Stephan... thanks for your comments.

5. Watch out for bright reds/blues

Maji,

It looks like the red channel is blown out in the first one. You have to watch exposures on shots with a lot of primary colors like reds and blues in them. The meter on a DSLR pays much more attention to grays and greens, and will over-expose reds and blues. I'd open that image in PS and look at the expanded histogram. I bet you'll find that the red channel is smashed against the right side, so you're losing detail.

I find I need to back down the exposure by 1/2 stop or more if I'm shooting a bright red or blue subject. My D200 will show me an expanded histogram with separate red/green/blue channels, and I check it if I think I might have a problem, and adjust and re-shoot if I need to.

6. Agree with Duncan on the Reds and pinks. Also, the second one is really neat one as well...

7. Duncan and Rich,

Thanks for your comments.

The first one is that kind of red, because I just wanted to try out the DXO Labs filmpack's Fuji Velvia simulation. That gave that kind of over saturated colors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.