Tammy's here... (pic added)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by taat2d, Jul 29, 2008.

1. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Ok My Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 got here!! From the first look and feel I can say it is VERY inferior to the Sigma. I can't say for the Nikon, because I don't have one and never used one. It is plasticky, and feels cheaply made. I took some shots with it and I'm downloading them now. I'll post some ASAP.

unfortunately I only have one image to add for now. I was playing around with the lens in the house and bumped the ISO to 1250. When I went to the park with my son I forgot to lower the ISO. What a DOPE I am. So here is one shot I got of my neighbor. The real test will come tomorrow when I take my son to soccer practice.

[​IMG]

EXIF
    1/750
    f/2.8
    ISO200

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  2. I generally associate cheap and plasticky with Tamron, based solely upon my handling of a 17-50 in a store last year. I am still curious to see what kind of IQ you get and how the AF performs.

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Well I can say this just from a quick view of some of the images I shot the IQ is PRETTY DAMN GOOD!!!!! As far as sports? Well that a whole other ball fo wax cuz I'm still trying to learn how to shoot sports in general. Although, I had my son in the park kicking his soccer ball and I got a few good shots using the Tamron.

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    feel isn't everything
    the 50 1.8 is a perfect example

5. I know the feeling. I was shocked at how light the 90 macro when the UPS guy dropped it off. Wondered if they shipped wrong item. I will say that as far as crisp images only the diehard peepers could find better quality

6. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    This is true. But the Sigma, I hate to say it, feels like it's got a better build quality. I am being optimistic, I plan on trying it for a few days before jumping into a decision. Hopefully I'll get to shoot some sports with it too.

7. Congrats! I can't wait to hear how it all works out!

Have you looked into having the Sigma repaired? I don't think it would cost as much as your new lens did.....

8. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I owned the Sigma for a little while (long story...) and was always very impressed with it's general heft and build quality. I've not tried the Tamron so I can't comment, however I can understand why it'd take a lot to live up to the Sigma.

I think it'd be a good idea to at least apporach Sigma about getting your old glass repaired.

9. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    The thing is, actual build quality and perceived build quality can be very different things. I think a lens repairman would be the best source of info on such matters.

10. Joe,

I know you were finally able to get the broken filter off the Sigma, but does the lens still function properly?
    If the Siggy does still function, have you determined whether the scratches will impact image quality? Or gotten some expert opinion on that?
    As you know from briefly using my 180 last month, I appreciate a lens of character. :wink:
    Scratched front glass and all, I'd be curious to know how the Siggy and Tammy fare in a head-to-head.

I've found the Tammy 90 and 28-75 to be stellar lenses, even though their amazingly light weights make me wonder how much styrofoam goes into their construction. :biggrin:
    That'd be great if the Tammy 70-200 is also stellar.

11. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    lets see some pics!