Tamrac straps?? What happened?

Real Name
Rodney
I've been buying Tamrac straps for twenty plus years, but it's been a while since I bought a new one. I've been moving them from old bodies to my new ones over the years.

But for new Z6 I decided to order a new one from B&H.$24.95, sounds about right and should be comparable to my older ones, right?

Take a look at this picture. The quick release and the strap width is less than half the size. There's no mention in the listing that this is a point and shoot strap, but honestly, how can this be for a dslr or mirrorless large body?

Has anyone purchased the new, smaller style for a full sized camera? I'm just not sure I should trust $3,000 worth of gear to this strap.

Attachments

• FE5B0B45-CC28-4FAB-B3C8-98399529447B.jpeg
    FE5B0B45-CC28-4FAB-B3C8-98399529447B.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 190

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Dang! Just when we get comfortable with and loyal to a product, they change it on us! :(

You can sort B&H straps by width....and between 1" and 1.6" it seems most have the narrow quick release buckles.

I have an old Tamrac, some OpTech and a newer Peak Design strap. I like some aspects of the Peak Design strap but the strap has no "give" (neoprene) and is substantially heavier. And it doesn't folder up as easily so I usually just lay it over the top of my gear in my bag. But the camera doesn't swing around or bounce off my hip. The Nikon straps are quite narrow at the camera attachment points, but of course they don't offer a quick release.

Ideally, I like to have 2 straps the same so that I can move the strap from one camera to another easily. Previously the OpTech and Tamrac connects were not interchangeable. That's another nice thing about Peak Design. When you remove the strap, you don't have those long "pigtails" getting in the way, only small attachment points, one at the top and one on the bottom plate on the camera.

While I do not have either of those straps, I wouldn't worry about the thinner one working on your Z6. What I would worry about is that skinny strap cutting into your neck.

Real Name
Rodney
While I do not have either of those straps, I wouldn't worry about the thinner one working on your Z6. What I would worry about is that skinny strap cutting into your neck.
It's not skinny at the neck. But it's not as padded as they used to be either. Here's the website ad.

Attachments

• 836E08A8-D936-42D6-B459-48526643C172.png
    836E08A8-D936-42D6-B459-48526643C172.png
    66 KB · Views: 145
I've been using OP/TECH. The sections of strap at the camera are about 3/8" but they've never failed. The quick releases are about 1". The only complaint I have is that the non-slip stuff they apply to the padded area isn't very grippy. I think the ones I have are the Pro strap.

Larry

Another fan of OpTech gear. Use their sling strap system on all my bodies/lens plates.

Another Optech user. Have the short connector on every camera I own.
I like it for a couple of reasons. It does not interfere with my arca plate to attach to tripod.
No metal anywhere- so I can just jamb it into my bag and not worry about anything getting scratched up.
Another strap, years ago, scratched the crap out of one of my camera bodies hiking in the backpack.
Switched to Optech, and have never looked back.
Gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom