Tamrom 28-75mm

I have to say I am pleasantly suprised with the performance of this lens. I think this lens is a great value for what it costs. It performs better than I expected even at f 2.8. Here is a sample of my dog.

458400864_587c3c92b4_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jimmy,

Just picked on up myself last week. At first I really couldn't make up my mind about how sharp it was wide open, but comparing differents pics I can see it is pretty sharp even at 2.8. Is this straight from the camera or have you done any adjustments or sharpening. Thanks

Oh, are you taking these with the D50 or D80? just wondering since I only have the D50.

The Tamron 28-75 is indeed a really sharp lens. Infact I thought it was sharper than the Nikon 28-70 that I had at f2.8. My only gripe with it was that the colors were a bit on the warmer side compared to the Nikkor and I had to constantly adjust color/contrast for skin tones etc. It is one of the best "bang for the buck" lenses in the critical midrange.

I'm just starting to look at @ f2.8's in this range.

does "IF" mean it's got it's own focusing motor?

Does it focus quickly?

I'm just starting to look at @ f2.8's in this range.

does "IF" mean it's got it's own focusing motor?

Does it focus quickly?

Roger,

My understanding of IF lenses has been that the glass elements move within the lens barrel rather than having the lens barrel change length.

As for focus speed, the 28-75 is not AF-S or HSM fast, but it's not bad. Very fast on a D2 body.

Glenn,

Thanks for the Info.

I'll be using it on a D2h.

I'm right now reading Snakemans thread "Sigma 24-70 or Tamron 28-75".
someone recommended a sigma 24-60. That looks interesting too.

Thanks again for your reply. Roger

I've had this lens for about 3 months and it has been great. It is probably on my camera 90% of the time and is very, very sharp.

Here is a picture I posted the other day in another thread regarding this same lens. This picture is wide open and straight out of the camera with no PP other than sizing.

I picked mine up used at a local shop for $300 but even at $400 new it's a great value.

DSC_1213.jpg

:frown: well had to send my sigma back after taking some pics wide open I found it to be very soft!

Sorry to hear that Stuart. I know you were excited about that lens, and the first pics you posted looked great.

Maybe just a bad copy?

hanks Chris..not to worry though its just made me realise how sharp my 18-70mm is..lol heres a couple of shots taken with the sigma and all had high shutter speeds and taken on a sturdy tripod.
DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom