Tamron 150-600 g1 replacement

I am thinking about replacing my Tamron 150-600 (original) lens. It is having focusing issues. Sometimes it refuses to focus and I have to take it off and put it back on the camera to get it to work again. If you like to shoot birds like I do this is a serious. Other times it just misses focus.
I will be using the lens on my Nikon D500.

My main candidates for replacement are:

Nikon 200-500

Tamron 150-600 G2

Sigma 150-600 C

From the reviews I have read this is what I have learned

Nikon
Sharpest image
"Best" autofocus
Smaller focal range
Heaviest of the three

Tamron G2
Longer focal range than the Nikon
Sharper than my original Tamron but not as sharp as the Nikon
Lighter than the Nikon
Programmable via the dock

Sigma
Least expensive
The lightest of the three
Longer focal range than the Nikon
Not as sharp as the original Tamron

Any opinions on these lenses would be greatly appreciated.

I had the g1 version of this for years- great lens.
With the intermittent contact issues- have you tried cleaning the contacts? That may fix your issue.
Miss focus- at least in my hands that was as often my fault as the lens. Great lens.
At the same time, the nikon 200-500 is sharper.
gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Are the majority of your birding images shot at 500-600mm? If so, consider the Nikon 500 PF.

The Nikon 200-500 requires "double fisting" to turn through the entire focal range of 200-500....... Personally, I knew I could never effectively deal with that............

I had the g1 version of this for years- great lens.
With the intermittent contact issues- have you tried cleaning the contacts? That may fix your issue.
Miss focus- at least in my hands that was as often my fault as the lens. Great lens.
At the same time, the nikon 200-500 is sharper.
gary
I have cleaned the contacts and it didn’t fix the problem.

I've had the Nikon 200-500 for a few days. I'm still getting used to holding it. The weight and balance is different from my Tamron. Here's are a few sample shots

20211026-DSC_0838-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20211027-DSC_1231.jpg

20211027-DSC_1314.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
I'm going to be that jerk and say that you could look at the Nikon Z mount and the new Z 100-400mm S....just saying...looks like Nikon is coming out with some whiz bang awesome stuff. The flood gates of the Z9 have opened, so it is only a matter of a few months to a year before we start seeing some of that flagship tech show up in a mid range model.

May be a good time to consider it. When Nikon comes out with the sub $2000 Z mount camera that can have blackout free EVF and AF-C like the Z9...the D500 is getting SOLD with the quickness.

I'm going to be that jerk and say that you could look at the Nikon Z mount and the new Z 100-400mm S....just saying...looks like Nikon is coming out with some whiz bang awesome stuff. The flood gates of the Z9 have opened, so it is only a matter of a few months to a year before we start seeing some of that flagship tech show up in a mid range model.

May be a good time to consider it. When Nikon comes out with the sub $2000 Z mount camera that can have blackout free EVF and AF-C like the Z9...the D500 is getting SOLD with the quickness.
Thanks for the advice. The new Z 100-400 is rather expensive. A lot more than the 999 I spent on the 200-500. I would be interested in a mirrorless D500 if the price is reasonable.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom