Tamron 17-35 and Nikon 18-35 comparison...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by soulman, Sep 20, 2008.

1. soulman

soulman Guest

I picked up a brand new Tamron 17-35 on the internet and it arrived today....

I'd read so much good stuff about it that for £150 I thought I'd give it a go and hope to get a good copy. Well this morning I did some tests on edge sharpness at different apertures and focal lengths to compare with my copy of the Nikon 18-35.

First thing I noticed is how difficult it is to focus manually to get as sharp a picture, especially at the edges, as I could... secondly at wide open the vignetting on both lenses is fairly strong.

At F5.6 onwards the Tamron is a good bit sharper and equally as good for contrast as the nikon lens (in my opinion anyway)... I made a bit of a b*lls up and dialled some exposure comp into a couple of shots but my instinct tellls me the nikon will go and the tamron is a keeper...pics to follow and a link to flickr for full res versions soon.

2. soulman

soulman Guest

Nikon @ 18mm F11, untouched jpeg.

2872889859_ac1bc81c93_o.png

Tamron @17mm F11

2873710678_1162d404a1_o.png

Not a quality pic but see what you think.

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Don't have the Nikon lens, but I just recently acquired this lens and it's a great performer, especially for the price tag. Good bargain IMO! It's hard to tell really with the shots you posted, and you should compare at the same focal length, because at 17mm, the chance for distortion is greater and may cause the edges to appear softer.

4. TEWKES

TEWKES

Aug 18, 2008
    Canada
    The Nikon 18-35 is fantastic...

I have never owned the Tamron, but I have the Nikon and it is super sharp from f8 and up. I use it extensively for landscape shots. The only advantage I can see for the Tamron would be the smaller aperture.

Many have said the 18-35 is just as sharp as Nikon's legendary 17-35 once you get it above f8. My own comparisons (had both) support this. The more expensive 17-35 is much better with flare control though. And obviously has faster focus and better build.

Cheers,

Mark