Tamron 17-50 2.8, Made in China and Japan?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Marco, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Marco

Sep 25, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    Not that it matters (or does it?). I noticed a Tamron 17-50 sold in the "For Sale" forum way back was made in China (looking at the pictures). I checked mine and it's made and Japan. Anyone know if there are different versions?

2. thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    I have the 17-50 2.8 Tamron lens and its made in Japan. Before I bought the lens I did some extensive research on it and as far as I know all the test lens that were used was made in Japan. Could this be a grey market lens perhaps? China skies seems to be always grey from the *cough* pollution over there.
  3. randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Mine is Made in Japan.
  4. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Guest

Don't think it's different versions per se, just different manufacturing location. For instance, some Nikon lenses are labeled 'Made in Thailand', while others in the same lens can be found marked 'Made in Japan'. I had heard about this as well, and when I went to purchase the lens, made sure it was marked 'Made in Japan'.

However, that didn't stop it from being a potentially bad sample - I experienced a lot of overexposure with the copy, and some questionable color/contrast, so I took it back (not wanting to send it off to Tamron for weeks for a calibration check right out of the gate). The dealer didn't have any others in stock, so I'm waiting for him to get more...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  5. Spoon

Spoon Guest

i have seen several made in china. they look exactly the same as the ones made in japan. no difference at all. at least not yet
  6. robthorn

robthorn Guest

does anyone have sample pictures taken with this lens? I have been debating the lens for a while and tried one in the store that was just ok as far as grabbing and pointing and shooting in auto. I would like to see what it is capable of.
  7. Most of what I've seen from lens manufacturers, Nikon, Canon or 3rd party seems to follow the High End = "made in Japan" Low End = "Made in cheaper labor country"
  8. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Guest

Sure - Here's a few taken the weekend I bought it and tried it out. Not the greatest pics, but they're something for you to look at. Left the EXIF in tact so you can see exposure details.

9. Misquote from Armageddon:

"Japanese lenses Chinese lenses all made in Taiwan!"

sorry.. couldn't help myself.
  10. weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    There are three locations this lens can be made in (according to a guy in Yodabashi Camera in Tokyo), China, Indonisia and Japan. The Japan ones are the ones with the best QC IMO, most people who have trouble with this lens have trouble with the non-Japan made ones. Problems include front/back focusing and dodgy apertures (always over exposing by one stop).

My advice is to always get a Japan made one.
  11. robthorn

robthorn Guest

man, if guitars are anyway to judge Indonesia and china I would say run like you never have before from these countries products. complete crap is an understatement.
  12. And why would anyone make such judgments using such asinine, tunnel-visioned comparisons?
  13. robthorn

robthorn Guest

Because it's reality mr. tunnel vision. Didn't I say if anyway? go cause trouble with someone else please.
  14. What's reality? Surely anyone with at least half a brain to reason with can tell making sweeping generalizations of entire countries based on anecdotal evidence is plain ridiculous.
  15. weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Do you realise 80% of what you use comes from these countries? Including probably every piece of clothing you own.
  16. Thanks for being so enlightened :smile: It's ok if some people do think things from China, SE Asia, etc is crap - good luck living your life here, 90% of everything we have now is made in one of those countries.
    On another note, Japan had the same reputation about "Made in Japan" about 30-40 years ago as well, there's a learning curves for manufacturing and QC, but as those things improve with quality, so does the price.
  17. I just returned my made in china one for a made in japan one. My first one did overexpose, no focus issues I could see but definitely very soft even stopped down a bit.

New one is just perfect from what I can see thus far.
  18. robthorn

robthorn Guest

anyone with half a brain would realize getting everything from some other country just isn't right. crap is crap no matter how you look at it. if all my clothing is made in china I guess then i have no choice because I have to go to work and I would get arrested for being naked in public now wouldn't I?
    after saying that I have to back out of this conversation and say everyone against my beliefs wins and I lose so pat yourselves on the back and tell yourself how great you are for winning. enjoy it while you can.
  19. weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Enjoy your polluting, inefficient and unreliable American car too.
  20. robthorn

robthorn Guest

unreliable? are you kidding me? my car is within the same specifications the United States sets for all automobiles in it's class in the United States.
    I'm just glad you don't do anything to pollute this earth besides breath.