1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tamron 17-50 and D90 issues [Sigma 18-50 ?]

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Desmond, Jul 30, 2009.

1. My Tamron 17-50 F2.8 gives the occasional "F--" error on my D90 - no other lenses do it on my D90 but the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 works fine on my D50 .
    I have been told it is an issue with the D90 and Tamron 17-50 .
    I'm wondering if anyone has used the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 extensively with a D90 so I can decide whether to try that option rather since the Nikon 17-55 F2.8 is a bit pricey , but may be my only option :frown: .

2. nyannyan

nyannyan

Mar 24, 2009
    Cali
    I can't address your specific issue, but I tried going the other way replacing a sigma 1850 with a tamron on my d300. I wasn't satisfied with either and got the nikon 1755 and feel silly for not having just done that in the first place.

The sigma is soft (even after getting it calibrated to cure front focusing), gives a yellow coloration and has miserably ugly boke.

3. It's starting to sound like I 'need' the 17-55 Nikon :Curved:

4. pure jazz

pure jazz

Feb 5, 2009
    USA
    curious, is the Tamron bim or not?

5. Average Joe

Average Joe

May 19, 2009
    here
    try to clean the lens contacts ?

6. It's the early model , here's the original discussion in the technical section .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. It still only does it on the D90 and no problems with the D50 .
    A few people mentioned cleaning the contacts but then others mentioned that it was a common fault .

8. My 17-50 does the same thing on my D40. Just often enough to be annoying, but I really like this lens alot. Focus is perfect on it, and it's nice and sharp. I thought about sending it back and trying another copy, but instead I think I'll try sending it to Tamron when I get back from vacation next week. Unfortunately it seems to be a pretty common issue. I hope it's better when it comes back from Tamron, but others have sent them back and had the same problem afterwards, so we'll see. A couple folks had this problem initially, but after taking it off and putting it back over and over it seemed to get better over time.

9. My Tamron 17-50 has never given me the "f--" error.

10. I had the F--- issue a couple of times with my 70-200 and D90. I sent it to Nikon and it only happened once since then.

I use the Sigma 18-50 on my D90 with no issues. (It is very sharp)

11. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    If it happened with a 70-200 makes me wonder a bit if it isn't some flaw in the D90. Just a thought. Never had this problem with my Tamron 28-75 BIM either, use it on both my D200 and D50.

12. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I had that problem with my d70 and Nikon 18-70 lens. I took them back and Ritz replaced them, never had that problem again.

13. That's the worry - but I think with the 70-200 it is a rather isolated case . The Tamron issues seem to be common . It hasn't done it with any Nikon lenses in my case so Nikon would deny it is their camera and Tamron would say it is a D90 issue .

14. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 is my primary lens on my D90. Mine is very sharp and focuses right on. I haven't had any problems or errors with it . It also does 1-3 macro.

15. Desmond,

It has happened to me on the Sigma 18-50 on the D90 quite often, despite it having great IQ. I wasn't a huge fan of the Tamron or Sigmas' build quality and ended up using my tax return on a new nikkor 17-55. I honestly have never looked back. Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

16. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    seems like the BIM version are a better build. I have the 24-70 version for my D90...I never had any problems.

17. intruder61

intruder61

Dec 16, 2008
    australia
    my tamron 70-200 & 17-50 work fine on my D60, S5Pro, D300. never had any issues.

18. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    For what it's worth....I have no gotten a Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM and have been shooting with it a lot lately. I have not had a single issue with focusing with the Sigma like I did with the Tamron. We will see if it arises again in the Tamron when I start using it a bit more again (addicted to the Sig 50mm f1.4 right now).

I was actually considering selling my Tamron and picking up a used Sigma 18-50 f2.8 HSM. I could probably make the sale and pruchase and about break even. I see one person had a problem with the Sigma, but that's one compared to dozens with the Tamron.

Of course, maybe it's an exuse to start saving for an upgrade to the D300 (used of course). Nobody seems to have any of these problems with the D300....unless I missed it somewhere.

19. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    I own the early version of the Tamron 17-50 for my D90 and have only recently been experiencing some difficulties with it. I've owned it for almost a year now, but have gotten some of these F-- errors on my past few outings. It seems that they usually happen when I try to switch the aperture or shutterspeed too quickly, but that's not always the case. The lens has always come around though, and it's yet to fail on me completely. (And it's an awesome lens otherwise)

20. I just got some prices on a Sigma locally .... then read the next few comments :frown:

I don't get those kind of tax returns , though they do get offered to me via spam " the US tax department apologizes for the delay with the tax refund we owe you , please send your bank details ....." except I've never paid tax in the US ! :smile:

I may have to do a bit more research

It works fine on my D50 and when I had the D80 there were no problems ... it's a difficult one this !

Are you presently shooting with a D90 ?

That's how it started with me , just the occasional error then more frequent . It is closely related to the lens hood being clipped into place because it is a tight fit . Just a twist in the opposite direction fixes it . Since it became more regular I took it off since , as an auto electrician , I know with higher currents each bad contact causes a little more damage and makes the problem more regular - not that this involves high currents but it makes one wonder why it would become more regular if the damage wasn't getting worse ? I even considered the possibility that it was an internal problem in the lens , but two weeks on the D50 and it hasn't done it again !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.