1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on D80

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by srsuser, Oct 4, 2008.

1. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Hello guys, I want to purchase a Nikon D80 for my first DSLR camera. I had a little bit of experience with DSLR because my friend used to own a D40, so I know the basics, like how to manually expose photos etc.

I want to get my own Nikon D80, I have done a lot of research on the Camera and I think its the one for me. I have been recommended the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens on another forum, and also the Sigma 18-50. I did some research on POTN on the Tamron 17-50, And I think it would be a good lens for what I'm going to be shooting which is mostly going to be mostly Nature, Cars, and people.

So those of you who own D80's and have the Tamron 17-50 or the Sigma 18-50 lens on it, what can you say about the lens? Should I get it or should I get another lens?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. hawley088

hawley088

Sep 9, 2008
    PA
    i think thats a wonderful idea charles

3. Wileec

Wileec Guest

If you will use the search feature - you'll discover that a lot of people here have, use, and like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - on a variety of DX cameras.

4. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    yeah d80 will suit you well. don't worry so much about the lens right now. just get something decent. work on composition, exposure, etc. before worrying about other junk.

5. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Search isn't working sorry. I get an error

6. JasonL

JasonL

Sep 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    tammy

Hello, I was actually at Unique Photo in NJ today, and was trying the Tamron 17 to 50 2.8, This will definatly be my next purchase, they actually have it on sale for $419. I liked it alot !!!!!

7. hawley088

hawley088

Sep 9, 2008
    PA
    Charles, dont do what you did last time, the gods will be angry with you

live by those words and you will make the right choice

8. Wileec

Wileec Guest

:confused:  Not sure what to say. I just tried it and it worked fine for me, as it has all the other times I've used it.

9. GroWeb

GroWeb

Sep 2, 2008
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Glen Rowe
    I posed a very similar question a few weeks ago and received a lot of good input in a thread you will find here. I ended up buying the Sigma (as you will learn when you read that thread), but I do not yet have enough experience with it to provide any conclusive information.

Good luck embarking on your new photographic journey!

Glen

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks I'll check it out.

11. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Now the only question is....should i buy lens new or used

12. You can get some great deals on used a D80 these days. No real reason to buy new other than for your own peace of mind. How much is that worth to you?

Also, the Cafe has pretty clear guidelines about becoming eligible for the For Sale Forum. The mods may frown on putting a WTB notice in your signature.

Check your local Craig's List, KEH and FredMiranda.com.

13. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Yeah I know, The D80 Body I'm definately buying USED.I meant should I buy lens new or used.

And I checked the for sale rules, theres nothing that says I can't put that in my signature. I realize I have to be 30 Days member and 25 posts to View the for sale section, so unless theres a rule that says I can't put it in my sig, then I guess ill just keep it there.

14. The 17-50 is a really popular lens. I got it mainly because of its popularity. Minus a few (including me) who are a bit unhappy with the autofocus speed, everybody loves the lens. So long as I'm not shooting sports or fast moving objects, it's perfect. D80 was my first SLR too and I'm glad I went for it. It has pretty much everything you'll need.

-jeff

15. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Wait so the autofocus speed sucks on the older ones or the newer ones? And how can I distinguish between the older Tamron 17-50 and the newer one?

16. Well... there are mixed opinions. Some claim that on nicer bodies, the older models focus faster. I myself have not tried the older version and got the one with a motor (sometimes regret that I did that...)
    One easy way to distinguish is by looking at the box. Newer ones say Model A16NII and "Built in motor". Won't be easy to find the older models new. You'll probably have to buy used. You can also test it simply by mounting it. The newer models focus in little "steps"... you'll know it when you see it. Or you can try mounting it on a D40,D60 and see if it will autofocus.

-jeff

17. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    oh so why do you regret the one with the motor? and do you mean that the one with the motor is the only one that can AF?

18. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Both can AF, the one that is screw driven (by your body) is faster to focus than the one with the built-in AF (so it can AF with the D40/60).

To be honest I don't know why people are complaining, I've had both and the difference is pretty small. It certainly focuses a lot faster than something like 18-55DX kit lens and is comparable to something like the 50mm f/1.8 IMO.

19. GroWeb

GroWeb

Sep 2, 2008
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Glen Rowe
    I had a chance to try the new version of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 today, on my D300 in low indoor lighting. As Jeff pointed out, "The newer models focus in little "steps"...",as if it were gradually homing in on its target, rather than going straight to it. I found it to be significantly slower than the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, and also less successful in actually focusing on the subject -- though this may have been due to front- or back-focusing in the specific sample that I tested.

By the way, the first copy of the Sigma I picked up front-focused quite severely (just at the limit of the D300's fine-tuning range); so I exchanged it for a new copy that appears to be much better. I'll find out for sure when I get home and test it more methodically.

Glen

20. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Is Tamron's lens motor tech in general not very good?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.