Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on D80

Odd, I don't experience that on my D40 or S5 Pro at all, maybe you have a dodgy copy or you're expecting AF-S or HSM turn of speed which it really isn't capable off.

Tamron don't have AF-S style ring-type AF motor like Nikon and Sigma have, so its not as fast and doesn't have manual override.

Real Name
Glen Rowe
So now all thats left is for me to test the two lens. None of my friends have those lens though :(
Try this:

First, buy or borrow a camera.

Then go to a store that sells both of the lenses and test them there. As long as you really intend to buy one, it's only fair that they should allow you to test them first. One very safe strategy is to go in with a camera and card, take a range of shots with each lens to test focus, sharpness, CA, etc., at different apertures and focal distances; then bring the card home and examine the shots on your computer. Also, before you buy one of the lenses, ensure that the store has a return or exchange policy that will allow you to (refund or) exchange the lens if you get it home, test it more thoroughly, and find out it's not as good as it seemed in the store shots.

May the Force (of lens lust) be with you!

Glen

Try this:

First, buy or borrow a camera.

Then go to a store that sells both of the lenses and test them there. As long as you really intend to buy one, it's only fair that they should allow you to test them first. One very safe strategy is to go in with a camera and card, take a range of shots with each lens to test focus, sharpness, CA, etc., at different apertures and focal distances; then bring the card home and examine the shots on your computer. Also, before you buy one of the lenses, ensure that the store has a return or exchange policy that will allow you to (refund or) exchange the lens if you get it home, test it more thoroughly, and find out it's not as good as it seemed in the store shots.

May the Force (of lens lust) be with you!

Glen
That sounds like a plan!

Thanks for the great advice, i appreciate it! :smile:

oh yeah quick question guys which of these two has a closer focusing? like if i wanted to take a picture of a Ping Pong Ball up close will it be able to do that w/o blur?

I tried both on my D80 and feel the older model (w/o motor) is slightly faster in focusing. The images are great, nice and sharp as open as f/4. The 17-50mm is fast enough to focus and stop motion on folks that are dancing, so that is fast enough for me. I am not shooting sports.

As long as the Nature, Cars and People you are shooting are not whizzing around you, you should have no major issues. If all else fails, good ol' manual focus to the rescue.

Hello, I was actually at Unique Photo in NJ today, and was trying the Tamron 17 to 50 2.8, This will definatly be my next purchase, they actually have it on sale for $419. I liked it alot !!!!!

I got mine from B&H in march and i use it more then anything else in my bag.

I sometimes still wonder if I should step up and get a D90 even though I'm not going to be using the Video...Is there any big advantage of a CMOS sensor?

I sometimes still wonder if I should step up and get a D90 even though I'm not going to be using the Video...Is there any big advantage of a CMOS sensor?
Lower noise at higher ISO. Huge difference in my opinion. I was tempted to get a D90 just for that... However, I can't justify a D80 to D90 switch right now. It also gives you the ability to use Live View (Very useful when handing the camera to an inexperienced user).
Another useful tool is the sensor cleaner.

-jeff

I have owned the 18-50mm sigma. I used it on a D70s body and D200 body. All in all i was happy with the lens... it was actually quite sharp (at least more than i expected from a sigma - as i had an 18-200 sigma that i was not happy with at all)... I did, however, sell it to hel ppay for the nikkor 17-55 s.8...and there is no comparison, the nikkor is tack sharp....but it's also more than double the price used... I never owned the tamron, but i have heard really good things... go out and try some...and buy used, you'll save loads...

C

changes13

FWIW, ebay does have some attractive prices on the tamron. Seen as low as 250 buy it now.

i got the Tamron this summer for walking around at the track and so i have something decently wide. i love it. focus is very sharp and nice coloring comes with it.

Heres a couple I shot with the exact same setup D80 and tamron lense

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 262745

View attachment 262746

Ive fallen in love with this lense..lol

Just shot a formal event with it and it was fantastic indoors with my sb-600... My D80, however, I'm not as happy with. I needed to use flash in all conditions b/c ISO800 is too noisy. I really want Nikon to release the next D300 series camera so I can get it! haha.

I think you'll like the purchase.

-jeff

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom