Tamron 17-50 How can you tell w/ or w/o motor

Im looking into buying the Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Then i read that the older version came with out the internal focusing motor and is the faster focusing version of the two.

Now how do you tell the difference between the two?

Does the newer version with the internal focusing motor labled IF?

Thanks

IF just means that the focus is internal, IE doesn't move the ring on the outside... well as far as i know that's what it means.

I'm using a D80 as well. I got the 17-50 w/ motor about a few months ago and it's proven to be very sharp. The autofocus is slow and upsetting when indoors :( However, outdoors it's pretty nice.

I think the difference in naming is Di or Di-II.

-jeff

I'm using a D80 as well. I got the 17-50 w/ motor about a few months ago and it's proven to be very sharp. The autofocus is slow and upsetting when indoors :( However, outdoors it's pretty nice.

I think the difference in naming is Di or Di-II.

-jeff
All of them say Di-II :(

Maybe you can read it at the Tamron Website. Tamron calls it "Built In Motor". That is equivalent to Nikon's AF-S and Sigma's HSM.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How bout buying it used? Just have to trust the seller that they know what they are talking about?

Would looking at the lens mount area and seeing a provision for a screw driven motor tell me its the older version one?

I was actually looking for one without the motor, and couldn't find any. I've tried two (and bought one) with the motor and they have all been fine. I think maybe problems with their first few weeks of shipment, and a rather nasty review on Adorama's site has led to much more concern and derogatory reputation than is justified. This has rapidly become a go-to lens for me...one of the sharpest I own, among a lot of glass, mostly Nikon.

i would think that the new version with the internal motor would focus more accurately, even if the focus is slower. this has been my experience with other lenses.

i would think that the new version with the internal motor would focus more accurately, even if the focus is slower. this has been my experience with other lenses.
It focuses accurately, and exposes accurately. I'm surprised at how many nikon lenses seem to underexpose...or at least the color tends towards an oversaturated/"dark" look (green foliage, in particular). The Tamron color strikes me as more accurate than either the Nikon look or the Sigma look, and seems to be right in between. Shots with this lens tend when exposed accurately fit the histogram edge-to-edge with rare exceptions.

It focuses accurately, and exposes accurately. I'm surprised at how many nikon lenses seem to underexpose...or at least the color tends towards an oversaturated/"dark" look (green foliage, in particular). The Tamron color strikes me as more accurate than either the Nikon look or the Sigma look, and seems to be right in between. Shots with this lens tend when exposed accurately fit the histogram edge-to-edge with rare exceptions.
Yes, this correlates with my own experience as well.

The new lens with integrated motor has the model no. A16, the old one was A12 AFAIK. Not many online stores/ review sites will list this number, it's written on the box/manual though.

E

equinox

The new lens with integrated motor has the model no. A16, the old one was A12 AFAIK. Not many online stores/ review sites will list this number, it's written on the box/manual though.
Close...

The old one without the integrated motor is labeled A16.

The new one with the integrated motor is labeled A16II.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom