1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

tamron 17-50mm 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TheHundreds, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I just got one and am using it on a seriously handicapped D70. So far I really dig it.

2. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    thanks.

4. archangel

archangel

Apr 15, 2008
    ny
    hey btw beachcamera is cheaper and no tax. amazon started to charge for NY. check them out. they are very good and authorised also and in jersey so fast ship. i been thinking about this lens myself.

5. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    will it even fit on my d50?
    and why would amazon charge tax?

6. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
  7. The D50 has a focus motor built in.

8. mfletch

mfletch

Jul 16, 2007
    Texas
    I recently bought one from B&H. Optically the lens is great. But the one I got had the new internal focus motor(D40/60 friendly). Focusing is painfully slow. I requested an RMA the same day it recieved. 1-2sec to lock focus on a D300 or D2h is ridiculous. Every other lens, AFS or not, simply snap into focus. Focus speed is much quicker on the older screw driven model of this lens.

9. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    IIRC, it's because NY State has passed a law or something, and is mandating that online vendors charge tax for items shipped there.

10. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    so where should i order it?

11. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Your best bet would be B&H

12. archangel

archangel

Apr 15, 2008
    ny
    http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TM1750XRDINA2

authorised tamron and nikon dealer. lowest price . check out their review for validity as well as this forum. its ur best bet bc its also close to NY. shipped to u in 2 days no matter what service u choose.

put up a review if u do get one from anywhere.

13. I got my copy from B&H a couple weeks ago and I like the lens. While focus is fast on my copy, it, I did find out a quirk (with me anyway). If you move the focus ring or accidentally bump it, I get F-- in the display. Focus won't lock on very low contrast areas. Moving to a different highter contrast focus point obtains focus.

I've taken a few photos with it but haven't gotten them posted for viewing yet.

Here's a couple:

99716548.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 222356

MikeT

14. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Mike a question for you. Do you think its worth taking this lens even if you have 18-135 or say 18-200 in my case?

15. I spend most of my shooting time at the wider end so the 17-50 seems to fit my needs as a carry around lens (for now anyway:biggrin:) . The extra low light capability of the f/2.8 aperture is a plus. So far the lens hasn't been off my camera.

I also have a re-bagged Sigma(?) 55-200 that also came with my camera which I've only tried it out once.

My 18-135 stays in my camera bag in case I need the extra zoom.

Are you wanting the 18-200 for a all in one carry around lens?

MikeT

16. The thing has been seeing about 80% of the time (probably more, closer to 90%) on my D2x since the day I got it....the only time I've had focus problems was last night when I was crawling on the ground taking pictures of some little babies. The darn things move around too quickly and I missed some great shots because I couldn't lock in on time, which was a shame, so I went over to the 50 f/1.4 and had a little better luck. Other than the quick focusing and build quality that the Nikkor has and Tamron doesn't, the Tamron is a great lens. I borrowed a friends 17-55 and took a few quick test shots and my copy of the Tamron actually looked sharper at a 100% crop, but it was a kinda quick and dirty thing....

17. B&H, or Buydig.com/Beach Camera (same outfit with 2 web sites; sometimes one is cheaper than the other). Adorama is usually ok, too.

If you don't mind picking up a used copy you can still get the old screw-driven model, which probably focuses faster than the newer motorized one.
    I would also recommend searching for a "Made in Japan" version. The "Made in China" samples seem to have higher variation, but this is purely anecdotal - I tried 2 Chinese copies, and they both front focused really bad; my 3rd attempt was a Japanese one and it focused dead on!

I had a great copy of the Tamron until I recently replaced it with the Nikkor 17-55. It's the one that JustinD now uses :smile:

Good luck!

Mike

18. Hmmm, I didn't know this. I checked my lens and it's made in Japan. Also focus is dead on.

MikeT

19. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC

cool thanks arch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.