1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tamron 17-50mm Good?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dL302, Aug 12, 2008.

1. dL302

dL302

Aug 7, 2008
    Vancouver
    Did a quick search here and didn't seem to see much of a discussion about this lens. Anybody have this can share their experience with it? I've never had a Tamron before, and I am really tempted to get a fast lens at this range since I find I use this range the most. And the Nikon ones are way over my budget.

The one I am interested is the A16NII where it has the AF motor built-in. I've heard some issues of backfocus or slow AF, but I've also heard many good things about it.

At first I was interested in the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, but it seems that the Tamron 17-50 is not only cheaper, but also sharper. Tokina is out of my consideration as it cannot AF.

Last but not least, the Tamron warranty is very awkward. Any Canadians can share their warranty experience with Tamron?

Thanks!

dL

2. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    Never had warranty work with my Tamron, so I can't say anything about that. What is very awkward about it?

I heard or read somewhere that the 17-50 with the AF motor built in tends to be slower? I have the non AF motor version and it focuses rather fast. It front focuses by about a milimetre but you have to be at 50mm and about a foot away from the subject.

In real life everyday shots it works very well. Sharp and accurate.

3. mikechang

mikechang

Jun 9, 2008
    San Diego
    The first batch of the A16NII they made, had one major problem.

Probably due to bad contact points, the camera doesn't recognize the lens very well,
    and in many of the cases, it shows a " F -- " as the aperture, which means you can't take any pictures with it.
    I'm not sure if thats the case here in the States,
    above is based on what I read in some other forum abroad.
    but you should make sure there's a good return policy wherever you're purchasing it just in case....

4. I have the version without the motor and it focuses quite fast (not AF-S fast, but certainly not slow). Sharpness is great.

Samples:

2148123252_f186ec4557.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2045505625_e6b96cf4a9.jpg

2232278974_e210dc47a3.jpg

What's odd about their warranty in Canada? Here in the US it's six years; best of all major lens manufacturers. Even the ones that start with "N."

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  5. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. dL302

dL302

Aug 7, 2008
    Vancouver
    I've been browsing through a lot of photos taken by the Tamron 17-50 and I love the sharpness of it. I much prefer it over the Sigma 18-50. I will be heading to the states in 2 weeks time and I suppose Best Buy at US has a decent return policy?

Anything I should particularly test in regards to this lens? I'm nowhere near a pixel peeper, but of all the lens I've owned, they're either AF-S or HSM so I hope this one won't be toooooooooooo slow. Are we talking like 5 seconds slower or 0.5 seconds?

As for the awkward warranty, it seems like Tamron only supports USA in terms of warranty. As for Canada, I have to deal through this third party distributor where they will inspect it and send it to Japan for repair (which takes 3 months). There's no Tamron Canada at all. Sigh.

dL

7. I also love my Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Very sharp even wide open.
    Light and unobtrusive.
    I have version 1 without the built-in focus motor and I'm happy with the AF speed and accuracy. Let's just say that I haven't missed out on a photo because of slow AF--it's really not that slow even compared to AF-S or HSM. Plus on a wide zoom you're probably not going to be trying to capture subjects that are moving too quickly for the lens AF to handle.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    No issues with mine. I have the newer version with built in motor. AF isn't fast but it is precise. I went with the tamron because it is sharp wide open and is very small.

9. dL302

dL302

Aug 7, 2008
    Vancouver
    Hey cwilt, how much slower is your Tamron compared to your other AF-S? Are we talking in seconds or milliseconds here?

Seems like this is the lens for me as I would love to have a sharp lens wide open, otherwise there would be no point as I can just use my 18-200mm instead :p 

dL

10. just bought the 17-50 last week. i brought it to super chevy on sunday and it did an amazing job. there were a few times where i couldnt snap shot. dont know why but there would be a -- through my apt. while in M mode. dunno what it was or why but it started towards the end of my day. did it for about 30 min then stopped, probably something i was doing wrong. was kind of weird but i looked past it and kept shooting. came home with some awesome shots.

these were all taken with it
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=183014

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You can't compare it to AF-S. On the comsumer bodies like my S5 its about the same as my AF primes.

My D2x will turn a screw drive lens faster than the Tamrons internal motor.

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Clean the mount on the lens. Had a similar issue when I first got mine on my S5.:wink:

13. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I have been thinking of getting this lens for a while...before the motorized version came out
    I like the constant 2.8, obviously
    but quite frankly, many of the shots I see from this lens can be handled just as well by my 18-70

14. will do thanks for the info :biggrin:

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    When did they make a f/2.8 version of the 18-70?

16. mikechang

mikechang

Jun 9, 2008
    San Diego
    I think that's the same issue i mentioned in my reply above.
    Do you have the built-in motor version or not?
    people think it's mainly due to the slight size difference in the lens mount and the body,
    causing the contact points not touching very well, so maybe more like a bad design problem.

17. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I just don't see many examples of the lens wide open or with any particular reason for using it wide open
    most that I see are taken with more DOF, and I'm assuming stopped down

in that regard the cheapo 18-70 can hold its own nicely

18. dL302

dL302

Aug 7, 2008
    Vancouver
    Also, would it be stupid for me to get a 18-50mm f2.8 when I already have the 18-200? Reason is at low lighting situation, the 18-200 just doesn't cut it. I was originally thinking of the Sigma 30mm f1.4, but I think I might like the 18-50mm f2.8. Anyone in similar situation as me?

18-200 is perfect for me in every situation but low lighting. And I'd hate to turn up to ISO1600 as I don't really like the result from D40. ISO 800 is the max I'll go unless I REALLY NEED TO TAKE A SHOT using ISO1600.

dL

19. timzilla

timzilla Guest

I have the Tamron 17-50 and I love mine...no complaints from me. I upgraded from my 18-70 and I love the 2.8 that I can get from the tamron.

20. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    Tim and all
    would love to see some wide open to F4 shots from this lens, if you could

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.