Tamron 17-70/2.8

I saw the headline for this lens and I got really excited. It would be a great gym lens on a DX camera. Like an updated 17-50/2.8, but with a bit more reach, out to 70mm.
Then I saw that it was for the Sony E mount only :( :cry:
Tamron has been making a few of these Sony E mount only lenses. It is cruel teasing.

IF Tamron can make it in a Z mount, for the Z-50, that would be cool, but first I want it for the F mount.

Last edited:
My "understanding" is the sony E mount is open, with all the tricks freely shared with 3rd party manufacturers.
At least on the earlier nikon f mount I was told the companies had to do their own reverse engineering. Not sure how true that is, but have heard it many times over the years.
Also, not sure how nikon is handling the Z mount.
There are a lot more aftermarket lenses for sony than nikon -in fact I just ordered the sigma 14-24mm for sony e mount yesterday. (My first non sony lens for the sony e system)
Gary

My "understanding" is the sony E mount is open, with all the tricks freely shared with 3rd party manufacturers.
At least on the earlier nikon f mount I was told the companies had to do their own reverse engineering. Not sure how true that is, but have heard it many times over the years.
Also, not sure how nikon is handling the Z mount.
There are a lot more aftermarket lenses for sony than nikon -in fact I just ordered the sigma 14-24mm for sony e mount yesterday. (My first non sony lens for the sony e system)
Gary

Based on the lack of 3rd party lenses, my guess is Nikon is not opening their Z mount. So the 3rd party guys have to reverse engineer it like they did with the F lens. Same with Canon and the R mount.

But once they figure it out, and don't violate any patents, the Z will be like the F, with LOTS of 3rd party lenses available.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom